Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Holding the flywheel still...

Old 06-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva
Default Holding the flywheel still...

Okay, I finally got a socket head big enough to get my flywheel off. It's a 2 & 3/16 inch, but I can't get the flywheel to hold still like I thought I would. I attempted to use the back of a hammer to grab the flywheel teeth while in a vice but it didn't stay.

Any good suggestions?

If you live near Chesapeake too and have any tools that could help me, I'd rent them off of you if you'd let me.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holding the flywheel still...

Impact gun.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:36 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

.. i dunno how rotaries work, but on a regular engine you can usually just put a ratchet on the nut that goes into the crank on the front of the engine and have a friend hold it still.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:35 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

flywheel holder.

if that dont work, a big ass prybar on the teeth.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Am I kawaii? Uguu~

Lawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by spic
.. i dunno how rotaries work, but on a regular engine you can usually just put a ratchet on the nut that goes into the crank on the front of the engine and have a friend hold it still.
Try this.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva

Actually I just went out there and found a different method that works.

On the flywheel theres two holes opposite of each other. I found two bolts that fit them perfectly. When I rotate the flywheel with them stuck in those holes, it gets stopped by the engine tension bolts. It works real good and the flywheel won't even budge. Problem is now that my custom made 3 foot long handle on my Kobalt wrench isn't powerful enough (and it's a heavy-duty brand). I can feel it bending. If it breaks I can get a new one no questions asked at least. I guess I'm definitely gonna have to go with an impact.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:01 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

i think the torque is about 245ft lbs...so you will need some ass.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

I only weigh 175 pounds, so I'm having a hard time getting enough leverage. I'm lifting myself almost off the wrench itself. It's ridiculous. I just smothered the flywheel nut in rust removing fluid and lubed it up a little. I'll give it one more shot and then I'm calling it a night.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

do u need my 325lb ass to pull that wrench?

100 bucks say's i can undo it one handed..
Old 06-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Moriar
do u need my 325lb ass to pull that wrench?

100 bucks say's i can undo it one handed..
LMAO. If I need someone heavy to do it, I'll just ask my neighbor down the street. I just need a breaker bar since my Kobalt socket wrench cannot handle the torque I'm delivering to it.

Quick Reply: Holding the flywheel still...