Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Help My MAF wont read over 2500RPms.....

Old 12-07-2003, 05:17 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

2500 rpm is the safe mode on the nissans I know. My guess is you screwed up something on the install and it went into safe mode. Several things can go wrong
1 Maf on backwards (easy to do with a CAI)
2 Clip pluged into maf but not properly (or so you think), Unclip and put it back in.
3 Disconnected the TPS or some other item and forgot to put it back.

Look for these items and then reset the ecu. That should solve the problem. Unless you hit the maf or did something obvious its not likely that you broke the maf.

Last edited by 98sr20ve; 12-07-2003 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:25 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Originally posted by reuter
no most engines use mass air flow sensors. i just dont think honda uses them. i know my chevy does, so did my nissan. so do most fords. they measure the amount of air being pushed through them and make small adjustments accordingly to the amount of fuel being dumped into the motor. theyre kind of a pain in the ass because they can cause some weird conditions when you modify the car. theyre kind of restrictive, but if you port them your a/f goes all to hell (sometimes) and its harder to tune.
Maf's are better then MAP sensors for most street cars that I know. A maf can make adjustments for the increased airflow because it measures the volume of the air and somewhat adjust for temp. The heated wire in the maf cools as more air is brought past the wire. If the air is colder then the wire cools more. MAF's are good for a street car (overall) because it adjust the fuel amount as you add mods much better then the MAP. I can add 30whp with cams on a Nissan and the maf will notice the increased airflow and adjust accordingly. The stock sr20de (Sentra SE-R) maf is good for about 175whp or more NA and when replaced with a Maxima sized maf causes no increase in hp despite the inside hole being twice as big. On a tuneable fuel injected system using a MAP is no big deal but on a set it and forget it system I would take a MAF over a MAP any day of the year.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:58 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

yea they area also better than MAP sensors when it comes to tuning issues. you can tune off a MAP sensor, but it is tricky as hell and half the time it is not as accurate as tuning from a MAF readout. i wasnt saying the MAF sensor is necessarily bad, just that if you have a car that needs a 2000cfm throttle body, a MAF sensor is going to restrict airflow pretty bad.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Just use the maf to measure the air in 1/2 of the cylinders and that doubles the airflow that it reads. JWT does this on the Z.