VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   gt40r on built b20vtec needs more power (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/gt40r-built-b20vtec-needs-more-power-302455/)

coolva 07-24-2009 12:40 PM

Re: gt40r on built b20vtec needs more power

For those sayin the Cams are too big, the tuner sucks, ect.. please explain why I make 380+ HP on 10PSI with those cams, same tuner, same dyno... I also make ~500HP on ~18PSI on 93 octane pump gas... again, same tuner, cams, dyno... (Oh, and for the super awesome tuners, Im doin that on less than 18 degrees of timing) Can we say.... SAFE TUNE???? Oh, and I drive it every day getting 25MPG! *gasp!* And I've been driving it since Oct.
btw, Im running a Holset Turbo... Its a huge divided T3 hot side, and 60/88mm cold side... so, yes, that will make a big difference...

Have I had ANY problems with the tune/build? Nope... only a sticking S2 TB, tranny occasionally refuses to go into 3rd, and the oil wont change its self. Other than that... I have done NOTHING to the motor except changed the plugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuozyHiu5Jc

Feel free to check the thread from the november VMP track rental from longshots...
I drove my car there, jacked the front up, put the slicks on, lowered it, checked the oil, then raced, put the street tires back on, checked the oil, drove home. (no expensive fuel required)

The biggest difference between our setups is 0.5mm bore, I have lower compression (head gasket & head), and hes gotta GSR head, I have a B16 head.

Just so you know, he called Full Race to get info on changing the hot side and guess what.... THEY HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! (with different cams) As soon as the wastegate opened, power would drop off... What did they do? Smaller hot side. Problem solved. Why does it do it? I still cant figure that one out myself... it seems odd... but it is what it is...

NaIsGay 07-24-2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by nagger (Post 5476868)

another tuner in the 757 named in this thread made 650 on a 35r 2 weeks ago....................

35r's are the shit.

coolva 07-24-2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CustomX (Post 5478004)
35r's are the shit.

I agree! Like 2 years ago, we did ~638 with a 35R on a 2 liter... :)

stinks 07-24-2009 05:42 PM

one of my friends made 350 with a 35r on a VW 2.0

coolva 07-25-2009 04:28 AM

Update:

Apparently he sucked up rock, nut, bolt, or something. Inspection with a borescope shows #1 to have some (not many) nice sized dings on the top of the piston. Leak down test shows 13% on that particular cyl. Higher than 2 - 4. Assumption is the object probably hurt the valve seat(s), and possibly valve(s).

Fabrik8 07-25-2009 07:43 AM

Wow. How the hell did that happen?

coolva 07-25-2009 08:46 AM

Who knows... Probably from dicking off with it in the parking lot with no screen/filter on the turbo...

I had something similar happen at the track rental I went to... I sucked up a set-screw for my steed-speed BOV... I was going to make my last run, noticed it started missin like crazy, drove back to the parking area, heard something rattling, then it just went away... still missing tho..

Pulled the plug... electrode was bent over and beat up a little... put new plugs in it... checked it when I got back to the shop... not a single mark/ding on the piston(s), 5% leak down on all cyls, and compression test was within 5PSI on each... no change in HP on the dyno...

Someone loved me that day.. haha

Jarrod 07-27-2009 04:31 AM

I was gonna ask what type of headwork was done and what kinda of manifold and size DP he was running.

But Tim came thru with the troof so :thup:

And although I'll never take my vehicle to Dyno Inc, Tim has been turning out good results from the past couple of cars I've seen him do.