Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

GSR ECU Question

Old 01-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CJ0920 has disabled reputation
Default GSR ECU Question

I got a 94 ls w/a 2000 gsr swap. The ecu i got for it is off a 93 gsr. I think their 1.7L's The ecu is chipped out so the vtec kicks in at 5500 and redlines at 9500. Problem is that sometimes i start the car and it keeps acting like it aint getting gas and bogs down to 200 and goes back to 1200 back and forth. Also my check engine light is still on any one can help me out?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:07 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: GSR ECU Question

Originally Posted by CJ0920
I got a 94 ls w/a 2000 gsr swap. The ecu i got for it is off a 93 gsr. I think their 1.7L's The ecu is chipped out so the vtec kicks in at 5500 and redlines at 9500. Problem is that sometimes i start the car and it keeps acting like it aint getting gas and bogs down to 200 and goes back to 1200 back and forth. Also my check engine light is still on any one can help me out?

9500 !!!!, I REALLY HOPE TO GOD THAT MOTOR ISNT STOCK AND YOUR REVVING IT THAT HIGH , and if it is stock and you havent thrown a rod threw the block or dropped a valve, consider yourself lucky...........

i would personally get an obd1 ecu that was made for a 1.8 gsr, and read the code to see what the problem is.......
Old 01-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Gone.

FlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these parts

Yup, find yourself an OBD 1 P72 and i don't recommend revving that high on a stock head.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

well i got some bolt ons like dc sports headers and obx cat w/exhust and an intake from my ls shoved in to it. Would any of that make a difference in fucking it up? So if it redlines at 9500 what do u recomend running up too? Also dont got ps hooked up.

Last edited by CJ0920; 01-17-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:26 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

well i got some bolt ons like dc sports headers and obx cat w/exhust and an intake from my ls shoved in to it. Would any of that make a difference in fucking it up? So if it redlines at 9500 what do u recomend running up too? Also dont got ps hooked up.

no, none of that makes a difference, your motor internally is not supposed to rev that high with no internal modifications, stock gsr's i think redline at 8100, anything past 8500-8600 and your taking a huge risk at dropping a valve, your cams dont make power that high so revving that high is pointless not to mention retarded, i guarantee that your floating your valves revving that high, keep doing it and your gonna drop one or throw one of your rods right through the block......my suggestion, dont go past 8100 rpm, and get a revlimiter set down that low so you dont overrev anymore.....suggestions in running your motor to 9500, COMPLETELY BUILD IT AND GET CAMS THAT MAKE POWER THAT HIGH SO THERE IS A POINT IN GOING THAT HIGH, going that high just to do it is actually slowing your car down......
Old 01-17-2005, 09:38 AM

onefastlsvtec has disabled reputation

that ecu is fine what i would do it get a b16a head becuase gsr heads are junk that ecu is better to have any how so that is what im going to tell u sell that gsr and buy a b16 head or if u have the money buy a b16 head and keep your gsr head and use the cams in the b16 head
Old 01-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

WOW weird thing is, is that it for some reason doesn't feel like it looses power b4 9500 it just keeps hauling ass. So i guess my nitrous kit is definately out of the question cause i had it on my ls and i think that's what made it bend a valve.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01-17-2005, 01:00 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

WOW weird thing is, is that it for some reason doesn't feel like it looses power b4 9500 it just keeps hauling ass. So i guess my nitrous kit is definately out of the question cause i had it on my ls and i think that's what made it bend a valve.

the car make feel like it just keeps going, but your not making any more power than you were at 7800 rpm, all your really doing is delaying a faster speed by not shifting into the next highest gear which makes your speed faster, how high were you revving your ls?.....and i dont think the nitrous kit made you bend a valve, unless you were overevving, missing gears at high rpm, at the same time, nitrous will definitely melt some shit if its not tuned right, if it burns to fast because of too far advanced timing or lower octane or if your simply not getting enough fuel to cool the chamber............
Old 01-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
the car make feel like it just keeps going, but your not making any more power than you were at 7800 rpm, all your really doing is delaying a faster speed by not shifting into the next highest gear which makes your speed faster, how high were you revving your ls?.....and i dont think the nitrous kit made you bend a valve, unless you were overevving, missing gears at high rpm, at the same time, nitrous will definitely melt some shit if its not tuned right, if it burns to fast because of too far advanced timing or lower octane or if your simply not getting enough fuel to cool the chamber............
My LS had the stock ecu so i couldn't rev over 7k. I alwayz ran the highest octan and had bolt ons on the motor like dc sport header, cai,and a chip i bought off of ebay maybe u heard of it called g box. Shit was cheap dont think it did anything. I had to wire it to a solinode on the intake mani. But the car was smoking when i got to a stop light smoke would pass my car. Melimum motorsports said i was loosing compression in my #1 cyl, so i bent a valve. Also i noticed the spark plugs were sticking up like the wires were not pushed into the plugs when i pulled them out there was oil all in the place where the spark plugs are and it covered the plugs. So let me know what u think.

Quick Reply: GSR ECU Question