Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Getting started to learn about turbos

Old 02-02-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedRexSI RedRexSI RedRexSI RedRexSI RedRexSI RedRexSI RedRexSI RedRexSI
Question Getting started to learn about turbos

Is there any way to reduce the amount of boost on a stock td05 dsm turbo and if there is how? And if i wanted to get a new wastegate what happens with the door the stock wastegate connects to?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:53 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Getting started to learn about turbos

to reduce boost, get a boost controller, if you want to make the turbo have an external wastegate you need to remove the flapper door and the downpipe must cover it and have a good seal or weld the wategate hole shut on the turbo exhaust housing........
Old 02-02-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm not into cars

reXer has disabled reputation

You can also just bypass your stock boost solenoid and hook up directly to the wastegate if you only want to lower your boost.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

i think he wants boost lower than the stock wastegate regulated (8 psi), the boost solenoid brings it higher to like 12 i think. boost controllers only increase boost not decrease it. only way to decrease it would be to go external or get a new actuator with a lower spring rate. good luck on finding a new actuator with a lower boost rating than yours, but you can do what i did and take it apart and cut the spring, i got mine down to 5 psi like that. now i have a manual boost controller so i can set it from 5psi on up.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 PM
SuckSquishBangBlow!!

dsm2nr has disabled reputation

its easy, all you have to do is bend the actuator bracket inward about 1/4 inch that should give you between 4 to 5 psi
Old 02-10-2004, 03:28 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
to reduce boost, get a boost controller, if you want to make the turbo have an external wastegate you need to remove the flapper door and the downpipe must cover it and have a good seal or weld the wategate hole shut on the turbo exhaust housing........
you cannot lower boost with an MBC, only raise it. if you want to understand why, look into how they are made. the best way to lower boost is with an external wastegate setup.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:43 AM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

Boost will NOT go lower than the setting on the wastegate get a new flapper or convert to an external and get a 4psi spring in there. but then agian if you only want 3-4 psi why did you buy a turbo car?