Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Garret T3 from Thunderbird?

Old 03-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Super Secret Agent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer
Default Garret T3 from Thunderbird?

I've been thinking about turboing my car, and I've got the oppurtunity to pick up a Garret T3 from a Thunderbird fairly cheaply. Its a .60 turbine and .63 compressor, which is pretty close to what I want to run. I know that a lot of you guys here have experience with these older turbocharged domestics, so I was wondering what you think about this turbo? Would it be decent to run? or should I drop a bit more cash for a super60 t3/t4.

Any input would be awesome, thanks.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4
Default Re: Garret T3 from Thunderbird?

it depends on the kind of power your looking for? personally i wouldnt boost too high on an older turbo. and a t3 is still small if you want to make some decent power... If its for the bimmer, i think a t3 would be fine because you guys have some real serious compression and you really woudlnt run over 6-8psi to make decent power. if you want to be cheap for now and you can get ur complete kit together without a turbo and use that one till you decide to go bigger, go ahead. But make sure that turbo is good condition. i/e no shaft play, turbine spins freely etc. again, i wouldnt use an older turbo.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:21 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

How much power do you want to make? You'll have to boost that thing probably 12 to hit 200 flywheel.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Super Secret Agent

My goal on the stock block is going to be 250+ to the wheels, so I guess this isn't so great for my application . I guess I'll go with a t3/t4. I'll only be running at the most 12 psi on this motor while I assemble a built one (low compression etc.).
Old 04-02-2005, 05:54 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Get a 50 trim. - ~250 flywheel at 10psi

57's are dumb.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Super Secret Agent

Wow compressor charts confuse the fuck out of me. I'm ordering Corky Bell's Maximum Boost so I can actually fully comprehend everything that I'm doing on this project.

Thanks for the help spic
Old 04-02-2005, 08:18 AM
i got 5 on it

http://www.turbocalculator.com/how-to-read.html http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html
Old 04-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Super Secret Agent

damn, you rock. Thanks <3