Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Exhaust questions, Headers, intake, carburator, pipes and mufflers.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Got Positraction?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7T4MULA has disabled reputation
Default Exhaust questions, Headers, intake, carburator, pipes and mufflers.

Ok, let me say of the bad I am sorry for regestering here, I live in California, but I noticed this site had alot of active users, and the sooner I get a respeonce the better, so after I post a few posts here at the active forum, ill be out of your hair...

Ok... This is what we have to work with.

This is the dual exhaust on it now, I dont know why, but the owner before my grandfather did away with the 2 1/4 inch dual pipes, and put on dual 2 inch pipes, that then go into glasspacks and then empty out of the back... Here is the photo.

And this is the motor, as far as I can tell and have been told, it is numbers matching for every part but the Holley Carburator. This is the YS code 400, non ram air, that made 330hp and 430 lbs feet torque, I do not want to swap it so I am going to keep it.

The carb is a Holley 650cfm 4 barrel Doubple pumper.

Compression ratio stock is 10.25:1.

I have provided you with the info you need, if you need anymore dont be afraid to ask me.

Ok, I have ordered some 2.5 dual exhaust kit, with Flowmaster Super Series 40 mufflers.

Q: Should I keep the 2.5 dual all the way back, and keep the Flowmaster SS 40's, or go with a large 3 inch all the way back sey up with original series 40 flowmaster mufflers?

Q: I have Headers, not installed, Doug Coated headers, 3 tubes. Should I get a 4 tube header set up, like Hooker Super Comp headers over the 3 tube headers?

Q: after I install the new exhaust, should I keep the Holley 650 or go for a 760 set up?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:34 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Exhaust questions, Headers, intake, carburator, pipes and mufflers.

ahhh....400. not the best year car IMO...but its a start.

do the headers. do a 2.5 all the way back, with whatever mufflers you want (glasspacks suck btw....i like the flowmasters....but its personal preference.)

ditch that intake. ditch the carb. ditch the point ignition.

Edelbrock performer intake (dual plane for the street) a holley 750 (double pumper more then likely) and an HEI ignition (or run a mallory unilite with MSD)

and since ya got the intake off.....go ahead and throw a bumpstick to it. bigger is better you got a decent year of heads, the 72+ ones sucked balls.

gluck.

edit...RAM air IV owns all !!

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 09-22-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Got Positraction?

Originally Posted by fc735
ahhh....400. not the best year car IMO...but its a start.

do the headers. do a 2.5 all the way back, with whatever mufflers you want (glasspacks suck btw....i like the flowmasters....but its personal preference.)

ditch that intake. ditch the carb. ditch the point ignition.

Edelbrock performer intake (dual plane for the street) a holley 750 (double pumper more then likely) and an HEI ignition (or run a mallory unilite with MSD)

and since ya got the intake off.....go ahead and throw a bumpstick to it. bigger is better you got a decent year of heads, the 72+ ones sucked balls.

gluck.

edit...RAM air IV owns all !!

Yes, I am getting the MSD 6 ignition system, The Edelbrock Performer intake manifold (Perf rpm wont fit under the hood) and what Holley 750 are you talking about.

The exhaust has been messed with, it has dual 36 inch Thrush glass packed mufflers, that where from the 70's, so it has that 70's sound to it, they are pretty much worn out now, they are acting like straight pipes, so the car sounds simply awesome... When I drive it, I always get people asking me what I have done to it, or is it for sale, etc.

This first clip, was taken when I was 2 blocks away, I was two blocks away! you can hear me give it gas to speed through the school zone, and start to slow down... it sounds very awesome, and very loud for 2 blocks...

http://home.ripway.com/2004-7/13623...2blocksaway.wav

And then, this is me a few moments later, you can hear me start to slow down, round the corner and stop. This was ONE block away but sounds like it was a few feet... The sound clip ends then because my friend ended it, and then picked up an old ass VHS recorder and taped me doing a 1 block burn out from the stop sign, all the way down without really no effort lol.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-7/13623...00blockaway.wav

that was so you could hear it lol

As for the rest of the car, this is what I am looking at getting for it.

Comp. X-treme street/strip cam. .477 / 280 Cam and lifters
Accu-Drive Camshaft Gears
Power Master Starter
B&M Shift Improver kit for TH350
2.8-3.2K rpm stall converter
Hurst Dual Gate shifter
Ported heads
Ported intake manifold

Is this a good amature build up? this is my first car build up and I want it to all work. What kinda times might I be looking at? stock with slicks they ran 13.5 at 104.5 mph. So what am I looking at running with slicks when this is all over?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:08 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

sounds like a healthy combo. more then likely, you will be in the mid 12's. or lower
Old 09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Got Positraction?

eh, I can live with a 12 second car, after all, these mods wont total that much, and I do all my own work, so no need to pay someone to work on the car...

Another question.

I have a positraction 12 bolt, with 3.55 gears. I have been thinking of a new gear choise, so which one would be better, 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10... keep in mind this car will be a semi-daily driver.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Banned

Roscoe is an unknown quantity at this point

You may want to check out http://www.nastyz28.com its a 2nd gen fbody site / forum that i regular. check it out lots and lots of good info
Old 09-23-2004, 08:32 AM
The Pro to call.

i would stay 3.73's....3.90 at most. you'll be hitting some high revs on the highway with teh 3.90's.

but...you'll get there fast