Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ex turbo questions

Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JakeSnake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ex turbo questions

what size turbo should i run , my setup is a stock ex with ex trani, y8 intake mani, stage 3 clutch ,lightened flywheel and full 2 and half inch exhaust. i was either think about running a t3 or t3/t4. i want to be able to keep my dependable driving soo.. also i was wondering the best was to run my fuel for boost. i know somejust use a vafc, injectors, and a fuel pump. u could also just use a fuel pump,ijsectors and a fmu. thanks for advice and i want to retain my dependable daily driver, so nothing too crazy. thanks jake
Old 09-28-2005, 08:41 PM
time for a change

SmallBlock_DC2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ex turbo questions

here you go, get a small t25 turbo or some small t3, get a walbro 255lph fuel pump, some dsm 450cc inj w/resistor, a front mount intercooler, any bov, and GREDDY Emanage, then take it to TUNERS EDGE in Newport News and you will put down about 200whp at 10psi or so. My .02, its all in the tuning.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 PM
I Piss Excellence

Shive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JakeSnake
what size turbo should i run , my setup is a stock ex with ex trani, y8 intake mani, stage 3 clutch ,lightened flywheel and full 2 and half inch exhaust. i was either think about running a t3 or t3/t4. i want to be able to keep my dependable driving soo.. also i was wondering the best was to run my fuel for boost. i know somejust use a vafc, injectors, and a fuel pump. u could also just use a fuel pump,ijsectors and a fmu. thanks for advice and i want to retain my dependable daily driver, so nothing too crazy. thanks jake
For the turbo size, I'd say run a Super 60 T3. Its big, but not too big. A T3/T04 would more then likely be too big for your application.

The method I was going to use on my EX back in the day was going to be the VAFC 10 psi hack. It worked well for a few friends of mine for a long time.

Like the other guy said, 450cc injectors w/ resistor pack, 255lph Walbro fuel pump, FMIC, BOV, and you should be set.

Your choice on A/F management. You can go with a piggy back (VAFC, FMU, etc) or a standalone (Greddy Emanage, AEM EMS, TEC3, etc). Standalone is always the best, but they're more expensive and require more in depth tuning than a piggyback. If you've got the money to spend, I'd go with a standalone, if not, VAFC will do ok.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:25 PM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

all of the above is pretty good info. just a note though, i wouldnt push it over 10 psi with a stock d-series, its a very weak motor. but if your looking into the future, i would say, save that money for a swap
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM
I Piss Excellence

Shive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish
all of the above is pretty good info. just a note though, i wouldnt push it over 10 psi with a stock d-series, its a very weak motor. but if your looking into the future, i would say, save that money for a swap
I agree. 10 psi on the VAFC hack is as far as I'd go. A friend of mine ran the hack for a LONG time and didn't run into problems until he turned the boost up to 12 psi.

Boosted SOHC > Stock DOHC
Old 09-30-2005, 03:25 AM
Banned

JakeSnake is an unknown quantity at this point

i only want to run 7 punds and this is my first ex turbo soo. i have had swapped cars in the past, just trying the d series out
Old 09-30-2005, 04:15 AM
time for a change

SmallBlock_DC2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish

Actually All D series engines are not "weak" as people assume they are. Yes the rods are smaller and therefor a little weaker than say the b series, but they are not a bad engine. PLus throw some jdm dohc zc rods with dx pistons in d6z6 and with a good tune and a nice head gasket ive seen 15psi-20psi on a daily drive coupe running with no problems.

I have had almost every swap in every shell, boosted, all motor, nitrous applications etc, and people who knock the single cam motors have no idea of there potential with lower costing parts. For more advise on turboing your d series go to www.turbod16.com and read up on it, also check out the section where it post peoples top dyno sheets and see alot of people running 250+ horsepower on stock internals and people with 400+ horsepower on a block with just forged internals and some management.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:32 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

i ran a T3/TO4E .63 trim on my sohc ex turbo on 9psi i loved it. i would recommend hondata over greddy emanage tho.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:02 AM
I Piss Excellence

Originally Posted by JDM_EF8
i ran a T3/TO4E .63 trim on my sohc ex turbo on 9psi i loved it. i would recommend hondata over greddy emanage tho.
Yea, I forgot about Hondata.