Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

daily 98 Civic EX auto, ELD issue???

Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149 tech2149
Default Re: daily 98 Civic EX auto, ELD issue???

i worked on a 99 ex with the same code and it was the o2 sensor wires shorting out. the one at the cat.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM

JDMEF9Htch has disabled reputation

have few things im goin to try, new fuse box under hood, and will see
Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

97Econobox has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JustaGSR18
so you sold your car cause of an eld? you obviously missed something and gave up.. dont make it sound worse than it is just cause you couldnt fix yours.. could be as simple as a bad sensor somewhere, just gotta test
well yes and no, i didn't mean to make the problem sound worse, it was troubleshooting it. It could be sensors, it could be VSS, it could be the alt, it could be a battery, could be ignition, it could be a ground or it could be a short. I was trying to illustrate that i had tested and searched for a good while. Only thing i really gave up on was boosting it. I drove the car about a year after the ELD issue, i had it about 5 or 6 in total so it was both not being able to fix the issue and just plain board with the car truth be told.

In my troubleshooting i literally tore the car apart. Interior and motor were pulled, engine harness was checked by hand from firewall all the way to the fuse and checked each connector. I traced just about all the wires in the car and made sure there were no shorts, i even added an extra ground and never got a difference in the problem. Life happened in the mean time and with mortgage, work, a baby on the way and no reliable ride to work i decided to cut my losses, while it was still profitable. I paid 6500 for it with 58k on it, drove it what almost 6 years and sold it at about 130k for like 2500. 4k aint bad for 6 years and 80k on it.

Ive also been told that Auto trans can do things to cause ELD issues, but Ive never heard that the entire fusebox would be bad afterwards. I did try 2 fuse boxes both with good working ELD's and it didn't remedy my issue.

So, TL;DR Im not saying its impossible just saying ive had this issue and searched high and low for answers or help and never heard of anyone fixing an ELD. i think its silly to say no one ever has, just that its a rather rare issue so its Hard to find anyone who has even seen it much less what to do with it.

I hope you can track it down and fix it, i for one would love to know what you find.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

ACLYN is on a distinguished road

should I replace my ELD before the 2 O2 sensors those 3 and my speedometer come up as faulty I know I can do the ELD myself O2 sensors not really 98 civic ex 177,000 also awful sound only when in reverse and always have to press shift lock thing to get out of park Is it worth time energy money have had a few years love the car have spent quite a few $$$ and need to renew reg next month thanks for any thoughts