Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

daily 98 Civic EX auto, ELD issue???

Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMEF9Htch has disabled reputation
Default daily 98 Civic EX auto, ELD issue???

i was driving and it just shut off, threw ELD ( electronic load detector ) means there is a bad ground or short somewhere, i checked all grounds, the blue plug that they say the wires rub on the manifold bracket, checked distributor, fusees, plugs, ???? anyone run into this issue and have any ideas where or what to check next, text call or post 757-235-2578 anthony need to fix soon
Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

97Econobox has disabled reputation
Default Re: daily 98 Civic EX auto, ELD issue???

Hate to spread doom and gloom but i had this issue. No one, i mean no one ever had any idea on what happened or how to fix it. I hand inspected every inch of the wiring harness under hood with the Engine removed, i replaced the entire fuse box twice and took the entire ignition system to OEM including an OEM honda distributor. never got it fixed.

For me it happened when i installed MSD everything. 6AL box, Coil and cap and pretty much immediately had the issue. I called MSD and double checked the install and had 2 other ASE cert'd tech's look over it as well and it was fairly straight forward and text book. My effects were minimal at first with just what i called the Disco show. My lights would pulse and you could sorta hear the engine vary a little with the pulse. This was only for the first few minutes or so of driving the car. When the car was first started it would run nice and lean like it was supposed to, however the warmer it got and longer you drove it it would richen up. To the point where when the lights would pulse bright and stay that way you could smell the gas in teh exhaust fumes. After that the lights would go bright and stay that way and the car would drive ok but just fall on its face under 3500, if you didn't wait till the lights stopped pulsing however it apparently wouldn't be charging the battery and the car would eventually drain the battery. BTW, i had my battery and Alt checked as well and even replaced the Alt for grins and giggles.

Eventually it got worse and worse to the point where the SPedo stopped working most of the time and even with a Chipped ECU with a basemap and another chip with the same tune just with the ELD disabled in Chrome i still had the issue. that made me not want to turbo it as i couldn't keep the Fuel solid. I eventually sold the car, it was a combo of getting tired of dealing with it and just wanting something else since i wasn't going to turbo it.

TL;DR ~ Your Car has AIDS. Happened to me and it Sucked hard. I pee'd on the car and sold it after much headache and got my moneys worth out of the failbox.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 AM

well hell... not even HONDA had an answer?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

97Econobox has disabled reputation

There answer was "Bring it in and let us look at it"

Im good. I just tried to fix it best i could, didn't do anything stupid and delt with it for about a year or so. then recoup'd my dough from it and moved on.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM
I <3 MY EG

JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation

nobody can just answer this question.. there are many things that can cause this issue. just have to do alot of testing..
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I <3 MY EG

JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 97Econobox
Hate to spread doom and gloom but i had this issue. No one, i mean no one ever had any idea on what happened or how to fix it. I hand inspected every inch of the wiring harness under hood with the Engine removed, i replaced the entire fuse box twice and took the entire ignition system to OEM including an OEM honda distributor. never got it fixed.

For me it happened when i installed MSD everything. 6AL box, Coil and cap and pretty much immediately had the issue. I called MSD and double checked the install and had 2 other ASE cert'd tech's look over it as well and it was fairly straight forward and text book. My effects were minimal at first with just what i called the Disco show. My lights would pulse and you could sorta hear the engine vary a little with the pulse. This was only for the first few minutes or so of driving the car. When the car was first started it would run nice and lean like it was supposed to, however the warmer it got and longer you drove it it would richen up. To the point where when the lights would pulse bright and stay that way you could smell the gas in teh exhaust fumes. After that the lights would go bright and stay that way and the car would drive ok but just fall on its face under 3500, if you didn't wait till the lights stopped pulsing however it apparently wouldn't be charging the battery and the car would eventually drain the battery. BTW, i had my battery and Alt checked as well and even replaced the Alt for grins and giggles.

Eventually it got worse and worse to the point where the SPedo stopped working most of the time and even with a Chipped ECU with a basemap and another chip with the same tune just with the ELD disabled in Chrome i still had the issue. that made me not want to turbo it as i couldn't keep the Fuel solid. I eventually sold the car, it was a combo of getting tired of dealing with it and just wanting something else since i wasn't going to turbo it.

TL;DR ~ Your Car has AIDS. Happened to me and it Sucked hard. I pee'd on the car and sold it after much headache and got my moneys worth out of the failbox.
so you sold your car cause of an eld? you obviously missed something and gave up.. dont make it sound worse than it is just cause you couldnt fix yours.. could be as simple as a bad sensor somewhere, just gotta test
Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM

did a lot of research, found that something as simple as the rear tail light wiring, guess ill just look over everything, kills me cause i want to know what it is,
Old 05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
ITR PY 00-1099

asgb16b has disabled reputation

I had a obd2 b16b in an obd1 eg (running a PCT ecu for the haters). I was driving and the same thing happened to me. Mine was due to a ground vibrating loose. So you need to try to track the culprit,bBasically once the ELD blows your engine fuse box is junk. Buy a new one and install.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

check g101 on the t stat if that is fine try someone elses fuse box i have a few of them laying around i'm sure others do as well also make sure your alternator is charging correctly not under or over that will also cause an eld code, seen it often enough to mention it.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 PM

found that the coild was burnt out and replaced that but it still wouldnt start so im wondering if thats what caused the ELD cause the coil gives off a huge charge , well its a 96 EX civic auto, if you u have a fuse box ill take one thanks

Quick Reply: daily 98 Civic EX auto, ELD issue???