Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

D16y7 Oil pan replacement?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe
Default D16y7 Oil pan replacement?

i have a stock d16y7 and the oil drain plug is stripped. instead of tapping a bigger bolt, im considering replacing the oil pan.

what all will i need for the swap?

oil pan
gasket
sealer

is that it? where could i find the parts, prices, and how much to torque the bolts? what else will have to be removed for repair?

rep will be given for actual help.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 AM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts
Default Re: D16y7 Oil pan replacement?

Haynes repair manual.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Y7 and Y8 pans are interchangeable. Not with the earlier d's and not sure about the d17's

You got most of it covered. torque from the center and criss-cross out pattern. i can post numbers later.

if you need either pan, i have 1 each but im in nova and can ship
Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe 97Ek_coupe

Originally Posted by Laserjock
Y7 and Y8 pans are interchangeable. Not with the earlier d's and not sure about the d17's

You got most of it covered. torque from the center and criss-cross out pattern. i can post numbers later.

if you need either pan, i have 1 each but im in nova and can ship
thank you for actually being helpful, also, im hearing about an oil return line? what would have to be done with that?

ill get back to you about possibly picking up the y7 pan
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 AM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Originally Posted by The Guy
Haynes repair manual.
thank u '10, there were 18 keystrokes in your post - it would have taken 1 keystroke to hit the "back" key

apply liquid sealant to the 4 points where the half rounds meet the flat sections.

8.7lb/ft on the 6 bolts.

forgot the Y5 (HX motors)

there are no oil return lines connected to the pan unless added after for turbo appz (word) unless you mean the pickup but you dont need to mess with that.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 PM

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 97Ek_coupe
i have a stock d16y7 and the oil drain plug is stripped. instead of tapping a bigger bolt, im considering replacing the oil pan.

what all will i need for the swap?

oil pan
gasket
sealer

is that it? where could i find the parts, prices, and how much to torque the bolts? what else will have to be removed for repair?

rep will be given for actual help.
Originally Posted by Laserjock
thank u '10, there were 18 keystrokes in your post - it would have taken 1 keystroke to hit the "back" key

apply liquid sealant to the 4 points where the half rounds meet the flat sections.

8.7lb/ft on the 6 bolts.

forgot the Y5 (HX motors)

there are no oil return lines connected to the pan unless added after for turbo appz (word) unless you mean the pickup but you dont need to mess with that.
The Haynes manual covers all of that, thank you very much. Im trying to help the guy get more info than just some guys saying a couple of things on the internet. The manual will cover all of it and if he ever needs something else, it will more than likely be in there.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Stiff Member

The Haynes manual covers all of that, thank you very much. Im trying to help the guy get more info than just some guys saying a couple of things on the internet. The manual will cover all of it and if he ever needs something else, it will more than likely be in there.
WTF are you doing in this thread exactly? Begone and do not return.

I just post here to increase my post count - not help people. What's your excuse

Do not thank me, I haven't given you anything yet
Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 PM

How about you shut the hell up and do not speak anymore? Telling someone to get a manual for their car is probably some of the more helpful advice you can give. Its not going to be wrong. It is going to be more accurate than some people on the internet trying to recall how to do something they have only done once or have never done. And if anything else comes up, its right there. Sorry I dont have an oil pan for a y7 or 8 i can pull out of my ass and sell to someone. Knowledge is power, and Haynes will give you that knowledge.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

How about you shut the hell up and do not speak anymore? Telling someone to get a manual for their car is probably some of the more helpful advice you can give. Its not going to be wrong. It is going to be more accurate than some people on the internet trying to recall how to do something they have only done once or have never done. And if anything else comes up, its right there. Sorry I dont have an oil pan for a y7 or 8 i can pull out of my ass and sell to someone. Knowledge is power, and Haynes will give you that knowledge.
i already have a manual, and i have read the section on oil pan, your advise has been acknowledged, now GTFO this thread.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 AM
Stiff Member

Lol

everytime you post something in this thread, you show that you're The annoying Guy talking out of your ass so feel free to post again man. I'm sure you'll be back.

I copied that info from my 97 Civic Factory service manual. I also have alldata access so if I don't know the answer, I can find it. I won't post anything that is incorrect. Reason I have a Y8/7 pan is I bought 2 blown engines for spares and to rebuild. Don't forget the Y5 pan.

+ 1 to my post count

Quick Reply: D16y7 Oil pan replacement?