Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

!cr-vtec!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:42 AM
GAME OVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10till4Z has disabled reputation
Default !cr-vtec!

well the zc isnt cutting it anymore...

so im looking for more power without boost. so im think b20b block with b18c1 head (crvtec) just wondering if anyone has had any problems with theres that i should know about before i start?....second. i know i need a new tranny ( b series) but what one would work the best.....?
thanks

by the way this is going in to a 89 crx si .
Old 08-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear
Default Re: !cr-vtec!

there was somebody on here who had a 12 sec b20 all motor crx. I cant remember his name, but he would be the perfect person to ask.

Last edited by gear; 08-05-2005 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

fastcrxva or something like that on here..
Old 08-05-2005, 05:39 AM

1nasty_eg has disabled reputation

my boy has a b20 vtec setup just like that with some bolt on's....thing is quick
Old 08-05-2005, 06:03 AM

b16a2 has disabled reputation

The B20vtec is an excellent choice for an NA setup. It makes a decent amount of torque hence the bigger displacement but doesn't sacrifice top end power. There are alot of rumors going around saying they are unreliable but its all in the build quality..make sure you do it right the first time. B20 sleeves are thinner than other b series blocks because it is essentially just bored over. Sleeving the block from the start is a good idea but not needed, its just an added security precaution so you wont have to worry about cracking a sleeve one day. Yes you can still run high comp. pistons with an unsleeved block BUT I wouldn’t go around rev happy. Even a bone stock block will hold up as long as you’re not being an idiot. I myself ran 11.1 pistons in my unsleeved block for a year with no problems whatsoever. I also had a ported head with cams, springs, retainers. I was making 217whp/ 158 tq on hondata running 12's all day in a full body integra. I could go on for days but I had a long night..Let me know if you have any further questions, I’ll be more then happy to assist you
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
GAME OVER

should i use a gsr or itr tranny..?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

B20 sleeves are not thinner. I believe they are actually thicker, but they have a different design than other b-series motors, which is why they are rumored to be weaker. And he is going all motor, not boosting. I'm building the same setup. Main thing is to use a b-series vtec oil pump and water pump. You can use the stock, but the motor will not handle the high revs and you will oil starve your motor. I would also suggest using a b16 head over the gs-r head. It's just a better flowing head. And as far as tranny goes. Use a JDM YS-1 tranny w/ LSD. Or if it just going to be a track car, the J1 has super closse gear ratios, but no LSD, and gas milage will really suck if daily driven.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:08 PM
GAME OVER

yea i keep hearing about theses weak sleeves on b20's, for all this work im doing this motor better put down some good whp.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by crxxx
yea i keep hearing about theses weak sleeves on b20's, for all this work im doing this motor better put down some good whp.
B20 stock sleeves are not weaker or thinner overall. All this talk about thinner comes from the fact that the area where the cylinder sleeve come in contact with the next cylinder sleeve is thinner than that of the rest of the B series. So of course, most of the so called cracked B20 sleeves you hear about happen here.

Originally Posted by b16a2
There are alot of rumors going around saying they are unreliable but its all in the build quality..make sure you do it right the first time.
Very well said. Almost any motor can be made to last, it's just about the quality of the build...that and maybe a little love and care instead of this friday night "drive it like you stole it"

I prefer the Vtec block approach, but that's me. There are some other little things I would do to a non vtec block...but in this game of engine building...everyone has an opinion.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

As John said, I prefer the Vtec block as well. Specially if it's going to be a daily driven car. Most of the problems you hear about the sleeves cracking are in high cylinder pressure engines. 255 psi+ per cylinder will make for a shorter lived engine when considering that it was built to operate in the 200 psi range. I would at the minimum have the sleeves supported by pins if you plan to raise compression. Just a precaution that should be taken in my opinion.

Quick Reply: !cr-vtec!