Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

compressor surge

Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud of
Default compressor surge

someone please help. my blow off flutters when i shift, well it sounds like the blow off, i think its compressor surge which means the blow off isnt opening all the way or not at all. how can i fix this? where should i connect the vaccum line off the blow off valve? all pointers and help is greatly appreciated, oh by the way its single cam
Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of
Default Re: compressor surge

any source off the intake manifild.

are you sure that it is a problem? some BOVs just sound like that naturally under low airflow conditions.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

k20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud ofk20egr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
any source off the intake manifild.

are you sure that it is a problem? some BOVs just sound like that naturally under low airflow conditions.
it is connected to the intake manifold, and it sounds like that all the time
Old 02-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

nissanfanatic has disabled reputation

What type of blow off valve is it?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
What type of blow off valve is it?
turbo xs
Old 02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

Originally Posted by k20egr
turbo xs
they make alot of different models the most popular being the Type H RFL which is what I have and it sounds like a flutter under certain loads but I also have 3 washers hooked up to it.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:22 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

compressor surge=no good
Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NX2KDET
they make alot of different models the most popular being the Type H RFL which is what I have and it sounds like a flutter under certain loads but I also have 3 washers hooked up to it.
thats the one i hsave and i dont have any washers and it always flutters
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Flutter is pretty normal, it depends a lot on where the BOV is on the intake piping. It's just BOV oscillation, and it happens when the vac signal to the BOV is changing when the BOV is venting pressure, and also because the BOV spring and the air pressure (another spring) aren't really damped at all. It's a kind of feedback. If the BOV is fairly large for what you need, pressure can be vented quick enough that you get a feedback loop like that, because there really isn't anything to damp it. There are a lot of things that can affect this, intake length, size, vac line bung location, intake manifold volume, etc.
Does it only do this when you close the throttle completely under boost, or just partially close it? If it really is compressor surge, it would vary alot depending on boost, load, etc., so the surge flutter would change a lot under different conditions. BOV flutter is usually fairly constant in frequency, which will be the combination of factors that make it oscillate (resonant freq).
Now that I've bored you to tears, give some more information.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Flutter is pretty normal, it depends a lot on where the BOV is on the intake piping. It's just BOV oscillation, and it happens when the vac signal to the BOV is changing when the BOV is venting pressure, and also because the BOV spring and the air pressure (another spring) aren't really damped at all. It's a kind of feedback. If the BOV is fairly large for what you need, pressure can be vented quick enough that you get a feedback loop like that, because there really isn't anything to damp it. There are a lot of things that can affect this, intake length, size, vac line bung location, intake manifold volume, etc.
Does it only do this when you close the throttle completely under boost, or just partially close it? If it really is compressor surge, it would vary alot depending on boost, load, etc., so the surge flutter would change a lot under different conditions. BOV flutter is usually fairly constant in frequency, which will be the combination of factors that make it oscillate (resonant freq).
Now that I've bored you to tears, give some more information.
it only does it when i let off the gas completely and it is the same sound all the time it gets louder depending on how much boost is going through it the vaccum is "T"ed in to the one vaccum port on my intake mani along with everything else that needs a vaccum port(wastegate and boost gauge)

Quick Reply: compressor surge