Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

complex question for all you guru's

Old 03-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC2slpr has disabled reputation
Default Re: complex question for all you guru's

Lol! Lots of good answers here..
Old 03-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by DC2slpr
Lol! Lots of good answers here..
You asked....
Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered member

DC2slpr has disabled reputation

Cars that have a center differential with a static torque split (under normal, non-slip conditions) have a different gear ratio for the front driveshaft and rear driveshaft, so with a planetary differential that would be different input/output gearing. You would likely say "well that would make the shafts run at different speeds" but that isn't correct. The difference in gearing changes the torque multiplication between the front and rear wheels, but the front and rear wheels are moving the same speed, so any differences in planetary gearset motion are internal to the differential.
This obviously changes when there is a difference in grip between the front and rear wheels, which means that there is now a slip condition if one set of wheels is overpowered by torque, and therefore a relative speed difference between the front and rear shafts. Then the torque split would change depending on the type of center differential and what it has for lockup characteristics, especially if you add clutches and other elements like that into the equation.
That is exactly what I was looking for. So if it is a clutch type, the clutches are unlocked during strait line driving with no wheel slip? Can the tq biased be changed dynamically without wheel slip? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with how a planetary gear set is used as a tq biasing center diff.

Are there center diffs where the clutches lock the two outputs together unless they are "opened" or over powered? - like a clutch type rear diff?

I'll leave the crown types alone for now haha.

BTW - I care about the topic - all the useless comments in this thread and I get accused of trying to boost my post count?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by DC2slpr
That is exactly what I was looking for. So if it is a clutch type, the clutches are unlocked during strait line driving with no wheel slip?
No, the clutches are not unlocked. They are locked but aren't doing anything because there is not relative motion because there is no speed difference. A clutch-type center diff (there are viscous center diffs as well, etc.) works like the clutch type rear diffs you're talking about, where the outputs are locked together until there is a speed difference. So if you start with a 35/65 torque split (for example) in a straight line with no wheel slip, you'd add/subtract from that as the limited slip function shifts torque to the front or rear as you have a front/rear slip condition.

You can't change the torque split dynamically without wheel slip, because limited slip differentials don't function until there is a speed difference. Until then, the diff has the normal front/rear torque split from the difference in output gear ratio. So something like an STi has a 35/65 torque split until there is a slip condition. Then things get complex.

So if you wanted dynamic torque split without wheel slip, you'd need some variable gear ratio in the diff, or artificially create a speed difference between the two shafts without having a difference in wheel speed.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-13-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered member

Born-Sinner has disabled reputation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_vectoring

?
Old 03-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Born-Sinner
Yes, they vector torque during wheel slip. During normal operation they use the mechanical torque split built into the differential, like I mentioned above. They are basically controlling the clutch operation (or other means based on the diff design) to transfer torque during slip conditions. There really isn't any need to dynamically transfer torque under normal conditions, until you lose traction or overpower the tires with engine torque.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Registered member

Born-Sinner has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yes, they vector torque during wheel slip. During normal operation they use the mechanical torque split built into the differential, like I mentioned above. They are basically controlling the clutch operation (or other means based on the diff design) to transfer torque during slip conditions. There really isn't any need to dynamically transfer torque under normal conditions, until you lose traction or overpower the tires with engine torque.
Yes I agree. Torque vectoring does allow for better handling while working with VSA. On SH-AWD I notice when climbing a steep hill under normal throttle, the system directs more torque to the rear wheels to better assist the climb. It is a very intelligent system if you ask me. On the RLX they also use torque vectoring to assist you through turns no matter what condition it is. It literally feels like you are floating(smooth) through a turn in that car. Maybe I can post a video later to show it's unique functions. On the ODMD, it allows you to monitor the SH-AWD system which is pretty cool to watch while driving especially in the snow/ice.

Last edited by Born-Sinner; 03-15-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by Born-Sinner
This is possibly the poorest written article on a technical subject I have ever read on Wikipedia. It reads like some 11th grade Subaru fanboi wrote it for his class paper. The guy that wrote this thing sucks at technical writing. I would suggest reading this one instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro...-drive_system)

Last edited by JDM74; 03-15-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by JDM74
This is possibly the poorest written article on a technical subject I have ever read on Wikipedia. It reads like some 11th grade Subaru fanboi wrote it for his class paper. The guy that wrote this thing sucks at technical writing.
Yes. As someone who has had to do a lot of technical writing in the past, I agree.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:22 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

I couldn't even get through the second section. What a terrible fucking article.

Quick Reply: complex question for all you guru's