VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   complex question for all you guru's (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/complex-question-all-you-gurus-488923/)

DC2slpr 03-11-2015 09:48 AM

complex question for all you guru's

Hey VaDriven,

Wondering if anyone can explain how you can have torque split and the same angular velocity in an AWD car?

Fabrik8 03-11-2015 01:15 PM

Re: complex question for all you guru's

Angular velocity of the car (yaw rate), or angular velocity of the wheels, or angular velocity of the prop shafts? Angular velocity of what?

DOOM 03-11-2015 01:24 PM

How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

JDM74 03-11-2015 01:24 PM

Yeah, more info is needed.

edit: I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say your are wondering how you can have torque split at the center differential if the front driveshaft RPM is the same as the rear driveshaft RPM?

Fabrik8 03-11-2015 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by DOOM (Post 8346382)

It just does. Somewhat crudely, but it works. But it's no mystery how it works. :D

Fabrik8 03-11-2015 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JDM74 (Post 8346383)
edit: I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say your are wondering how you can have torque split at the center differential if the front driveshaft RPM is the same as the rear driveshaft RPM?

The answer is that torque doesn't care about RPM. See, easy.

JDM74 03-11-2015 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8346386)
The answer is that torque doesn't care about RPM. See, easy.

Duh, but I don't think that was the question. I think he is trying to ask how can a AWD car send more torque to the front or the rear of the car if all 4 tires are spinning at the same speed, i.e. the center diff is not "diffing".

Fabrik8 03-11-2015 03:11 PM

Well, that's an easy answer, but might be a difficult thing to wrap your head around. I know it tends to bend my brain a bit when I start to animate things in my head and visualize how it works.

Cars that have a center differential with a static torque split (under normal, non-slip conditions) have a different gear ratio for the front driveshaft and rear driveshaft, so with a planetary differential that would be different input/output gearing. You would likely say "well that would make the shafts run at different speeds" but that isn't correct. The difference in gearing changes the torque multiplication between the front and rear wheels, but the front and rear wheels are moving the same speed, so any differences in planetary gearset motion are internal to the differential.
This obviously changes when there is a difference in grip between the front and rear wheels, which means that there is now a slip condition if one set of wheels is overpowered by torque, and therefore a relative speed difference between the front and rear shafts. Then the torque split would change depending on the type of center differential and what it has for lockup characteristics, especially if you add clutches and other elements like that into the equation.

If it's not a planetary differential, so for example a crown gear differential, it gets much more brain bending because it becomes a case of gear diameter that gives the static torque split, and there is no change in gear ratio (tooth ratio). It's the application distance (moment) that is different between the front and rear shafts. If you see a picture of it, it's brain warping because it doesn't look like the torque split should actually work.

Trunk Impaired 03-11-2015 03:45 PM

The real question is can jet fuel melt steel beams? The answer is no.

Flinch 03-11-2015 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by DOOM (Post 8346382)

Why are boobs good?