Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

CKF sensor question(honda related)

Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default CKF sensor question(honda related)

iam doing a B swap in my 97 civic rite now as we know thats obd2a , i put all my obd2a sensors and obda dizzy on the obd1 motor and am planning on running a obd1 ecu , here lies the problem obd2 engine run the sensor bolted to the oil pump, i dont have this sensor and my oil pump does not have the mounting holes. so can somone verify for me if this bit of info i came across is correct , it basically says as long as i run my car on a obd1 ecu i will not need this sensor . just looking for some input on what i should or need to do in this situation .iam not trying to buy a obd2 oil pump and that sensor (thats like 300 dollars) all input is greatly apreciated as its rare for me to have a question honda related haha

"If you're planning to use a US OBD2 ecu to power the OBD1 engine, you'll need a work around for the CKF sensor. This is the crank sensor that's integrated on the oil pump found on all US OBD2 engines. Only US OBD2 ecu's look for this sensor whereas OBD1 and JDM OBD2 ecu's do not...which means OBD1 & JDM OBD2 engines do not have a CKF sensor on the oil pump"
Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal
Default Re: CKF sensor question(honda related)

that info is correct.... as long as you use an OBD1 ECU....
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thermal
that info is correct.... as long as you use an OBD1 ECU....
yes i have a obd1 ecu i got a P30(obd-1 B16 del sol ecu)
alrite so i dont have to run a obd1 dizzy also? so basically that sensor was non exsistant until 96 , i was always under the impression it was inside the distributor on the obd1 car and on obd2 they moved it to the oil pump i was told this very earlyer on in my honda addiction lol i guess i was mis informed , i always owned obd1 vehicles so this obd2 stuff is new to me haha

Last edited by radiaki11; 03-31-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

civickid03 has disabled reputation

depending on what kind of dizzy u have u should have 8 pins

heres a pic

an obd2 dizzy will def work w/obd1 just make sure u have a variation of the above image.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

ok well that diagram just proved that obd1 dizzy's do not have CKF sensors built in , so that proves the first statement in my post that as long as i run a obd1 ecu i can do away with the CFK sensor . thank's alot everyone for your help , i got all the info i need now . thanks again .
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

The sensor by the oil pump is not what some people think of as "Crank Positioning Sensor". That sensor by the oil pump is ACTUALLY the "Crank Fluctuation Sensor". The "Crank Positioning Sensor" is integrated within the distributor in which all OBD generations have. The "Crank Fluctuation Sensor" is integrated on both OBD2 generation..... thus, OBD2 ECU's look for.........
Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by thermal
The sensor by the oil pump is not what some people think of as "Crank Positioning Sensor". That sensor by the oil pump is ACTUALLY the "Crank Fluctuation Sensor". The "Crank Positioning Sensor" is integrated within the distributor in which all OBD generations have. The "Crank Fluctuation Sensor" is integrated on both OBD2 generation..... thus, OBD2 ECU's look for.........
yea thats what i realised by the wiring diagram , i can only assume the person who told me the sensor by the crank was in the dizzy thought the two sensors were one in the same which there not , so iam just going to not run a CKF sensor and run my obd-1 ecu and call it a day haha and ride thanks man for your replys
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yep, don't need the CKF unless the ECU specifically needs it. You can't believe the amount of people who think the CKF is the crank position sensor..
Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

lol yea after doing some research last night i realized it did seem to be a common misconception