Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Chasing a problem...

Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts
Default Chasing a problem...

car: 1990 nissan 240sx
motor: "newer" single cam cuz the other one blew up

Problem...my car randomly doesnt like to start from time to time. I will have this problem maybe twice a week with no warning. The most annoying times are just after getting gas n trying to start my car n it just clicks. If I keep attempting to start the car by turning to START repeatedly the car will always start by about the 20th attempt 90% of the time...otherwise I ask someone to jump my car

Possible cause...
1. shitty battery
2. i set the timing by ear, throttle response, how quickly my car burns gas, and reading articles stating idle should be at roughly 750rpm@idle

Starting issues I have fixed already.
1. new starter
2. replaced blown 75amp fuse
3. "newer" cleaner injectors
4. new spark plugs
5. secured loose connections to starter and alternator.

Hopefully my prob is just a bad battery. I put all this info on here cuz my question is (and its a dumb one) does your timing affect your cars ability to start in the cold. I ask because as stated I set mine mainly by sound@idle, throttle respond and what the internetz said it should be.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar
Default Re: Chasing a problem...

You set your timing by ear?? First, burrow a timing light and set your timing to 15 degrees BTDC. I think you can even rent them for free from autozone. If your car isn't starting, but will jumpstart, then it sounds like an electrical problem. check your battery terminals and get your battery tested at autozone for free. You could have a short somewhere if you had to replace your 75 amp fuse as well.

Last edited by Slomar; 01-27-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Look on the battery terminals and see if there is a fusible link. It should be a little black thing that is hooked up to the terminal connector with wires coming out. If its there, see if its damaged.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Slomar
You set your timing by ear?? First, burrow a timing light and set your timing to 15 degrees BTDC. I think you can even rent them for free from autozone. If your car isn't starting, but will jumpstart, then it sounds like an electrical problem. check your battery terminals and get your battery tested at autozone for free. You could have a short somewhere if you had to replace your 75 amp fuse as well.
well by ear i mean...listening to the idle go up or down as i adjust the timing while looking at what the idle rpm is doing n if the car sounds/feels like its strugglin when i drive it. i'll get a light tho. Ive had my battery quick charged twice in maybe 5months b'cuz it wasn't in the car for quite a while.

Last edited by CarShowz; 01-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Originally Posted by The Guy
Look on the battery terminals and see if there is a fusible link. It should be a little black thing that is hooked up to the terminal connector with wires coming out. If its there, see if its damaged.
I believe I got all the fusible link stuff squared away when I was inspecting my harness for any damage when all that had happend was my 75amp fuse blew. I tested what people suggested with a volt meter n everything to my knowledge and what was suggested is in good working condition.

Last edited by CarShowz; 01-27-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar

Originally Posted by CarShowz
well by ear i mean...listening to the idle go up or down as i adjust the timing while looking at what the idle rpm is doing n if the car sounds/feels like its strugglin when i drive it. i'll get a light tho. Ive had my battery quick charged twice in maybe 5months b'cuz it wasn't in the car for quite a while.
There is an idle adjustment screw for fixing your idle. Single cams are notorious for shitty idle. Set your timing first, then check for vacuum leaks. Then adjust your idle accordingly. Let me know if you need any help
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

93civicdxgreen has disabled reputation

trust me we both know its not the timing starting to believe its in the ignition switch or that damn starter was defective
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

You stated you fixed cables to starter and alternator.

Are the terminal ends that connect to the battery tight and clean(ish)?lol

My negative had s shitty connection once in the past and did the same thing you are describing.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Originally Posted by Slomar
There is an idle adjustment screw for fixing your idle. Single cams are notorious for shitty idle. Set your timing first, then check for vacuum leaks. Then adjust your idle accordingly. Let me know if you need any help
the idle screw is about 4whole clockwise turns from all the way tight n my distributor position is about a quarter turn left of dead center...only thing vacuum related is that my hose is from a dual KA which was about 3inches longer than the correct single cam hose

Originally Posted by Odyssey
that prob turned out to be that my ground wire to the alternator was loose cuz i had to put a 2nd nut to hold it in place

Originally Posted by 93civicdxgreen
trust me we both know its not the timing starting to believe its in the ignition switch or that damn starter was defective
that $107 starter better not be bad

Last edited by CarShowz; 01-28-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by Odyssey

My negative had s shitty connection once in the past and did the same thing you are describing.
This.