Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cam Seal Busted

Old 09-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FastPrelude420 has disabled reputation
Default Cam Seal Busted

just got this ls motor and it leaks oil bad out of i guess its the cam seal its behing the underdrive pulley anyone know how to fix it and how much it will cost trying to get motor on the road please help me
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Cam Seal Busted

pretty quick fix really. should take less than 30 minutes really. put the motor to tdc, pop the timing belt off., loosen cam gear while holding cam in place, take off the cam cap, replace seal, retorque and put it all back, ls motors are so damn quick to work on. not like a damn vtec motor where you have to take the damn cam rail off.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

not sure if its the cam seal i dont know what else could leak oil really bad i thought it was comming from the right side of my oil pan but as i looked at it closer it comming from up somewhere i can only see it comming down from behind the underdrive pulley dont know where its comming from but it leaks bad real bad
Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 PM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

If it is coming from behind your underdrive pulley(crank pulley) then it is your front main seal. Which is a pretty involved job for someone with no experience.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by FastPrelude420
not sure if its the cam seal i dont know what else could leak oil really bad i thought it was comming from the right side of my oil pan but as i looked at it closer it comming from up somewhere i can only see it comming down from behind the underdrive pulley dont know where its comming from but it leaks bad real bad

when you say under drive pulley do you mean crank pulley ?. cause you cant see your cam seal on the driver side of the car unless you dont have your timing covers on or you have your valve cover off or cut. and you say you thought it was the oil pan, id guess that you are meaning crank seal. and thats a little more involved than 30 minutes, you have to pull the accesorry belts off. remove valve cover, timing belt, crank pulley and crank gear, and timing covers, then replace seal, then put timing belt and such back on and all the reverse steps. a little more involved job than replacing a cam seal.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 09-20-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

yeah im sorry its the crank seal so where could i get somethig done like that also im putting the motor in another car so the motor will be out of car you know anyone that will help me fix it and how much it will cost