Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

cam for my stang.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:42 PM
go away:)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silver232 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cam for my stang.

im having trouble finding one. its kinda anoying having a v6 sometimes cause everyone just makes parts for the v8 it seems. if anyone could help that would be great.

and

do cams cahnge the sound of your engine coming form your exhaust pipe? ive heard acoupel people talk about the sound of a "cammed up" car. is it a more defined note or something?
Old 03-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Is it Friday yet?

Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: cam for my stang.

Originally Posted by silver232
im having trouble finding one. its kinda anoying having a v6 sometimes cause everyone just makes parts for the v8 it seems. if anyone could help that would be great.

and

do cams cahnge the sound of your engine coming form your exhaust pipe? ive heard acoupel people talk about the sound of a "cammed up" car. is it a more defined note or something?
Cant help ya on finding one for a V6, but as far as the sound....it doesen't exactly change the "sound" instead you hear every cylinder firing. You hear more of it under the hood IMO unless you have exhaust work done. Ever hear how a harley sounds? It has that lopey idle (not referring to the loudness). You only hear a cam at idle and the amount you actually hear it depends on how big of a cam you get. The size of a cam depends on what your application is. For example, I have a Medium sized cam and you definately hear it but If I went too big, it wouldn't work with my supercharger very well. Also, on big cams, you lose some drivability i.e. stop and go traffic isn't fun with a big cam.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:12 PM
blingin cracka

KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster

midwestmustang.com....v6power.net. im sure theres more. try calling comp and talking to somebody.

the cam affects how the valves are open and closed, how long theyre open and closed and just a whole bunch of other stuff along with that. generally, when picking a cam, you need to figure out exactly what your plans are for the car. N/A? supercharged? turbocharged? N20? all of those are factors. you dont want a N/A cam cause it gives you a good lopey idle, and then you slap a blower on. you wont make shit for boost cause a N/A cam has more overlap and youll be blowing boost out your exhaust. normally, they have a tendancy to shift your torque curve up a little....meaning your car feels a little flatter down low, but once it starts revving it really pulls! so you might lose a little down low, but you make up for it up top.
it all depends on what you want to do with the car.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
go away:)

silver232 is an unknown quantity at this point

for now i think im gonna N/A maybe spray, but that will be a while from now.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:19 PM
blingin cracka

KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster

Originally Posted by silver232
for now i think im gonna N/A maybe spray, but that will be a while from now.
like i said, figure out a plan for the car, then act accordingly. i had nitrous on my car, now i have a blower. it wouldve made no sense to get N20 cams, then have to switch when i got the blower, although in all honesty it probably wouldnt have made a real big difference, i wouldnt be maximizing my combo
Old 03-16-2004, 06:24 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

id go with at least .600 lift both exhaust and intake and THE MINIMUM 260 duration

seriously though your cam is so dependent on your car's other mods that it should come last. your rear end gear, exhaust system, intake, throttle body size, heads, pushrods, valves, rockers, injectors, fuel pump, lifters etc. all come before a big cam. it's like... you wouldnt throw a 150 shot of nitrous on a stock car would you? no. its going to be so inefficient you wouldnt see anywhere near 100hp because the stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust just arent gonna cut it. so my advice... if youre gonna go all-motor, or even if youre not, do ALL the bolt-ons first then make sure your car is running properly before doing a cam setup or even a nitrous setup.

ps - i didnt bother to read what everyone else said so if this is a repost, woopsy.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Biding time

montman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these parts

The basics have pretty much been covered.
I know the user RGR on v6power.net used to make custom cams, I would do a few searches on the forums there if you havent already.

As stated the main thing is to try and determine what will suit your setup the best, if you are not installing it yourself, you dont want to pay for that kind of labor multiple times.