Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Building boosted gsr BLOCK G OR SLEEVE?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwaym24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Building boosted gsr BLOCK G OR SLEEVE?

I am building a b18c1

I want to make between 4 and 500whp

parts i have are below
srp 8.2 to 1 piston
weisco 9.0 to 1 pistons which ones should i use?

also should i go with my c1 block or b16 block with c1 head?
i have eagle h beams for b16
scat h beams for c1

have valves springs and retainers for my head Brian crower
what type oif cams should i use?

what type of headgasket and bearings should i use?

Should i sleeve or block gaurd the block

have a fixd budget and the diff between block guard and sleeve is a whole lot
Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)
Default Re: Building boosted gsr BLOCK G OR SLEEVE?

Ok, for 400-500 whp you should definately sleeve it. Not because the block is not capable of holding the power, mostly because at 400-500 whp you can shatter a stock sleeve instantly with only a small hiccup in your tune.

Use the wiseco pistons, SRP has a relatively high silicone content and at high horsepower, your EGT will be higher. Also, 9.0 is a good compression ratio...

Use the gsr block, the increased displacement will make it easier to make the power.

As for cam selection, go with Skunk2 stage 3 all motor cams and adjust the cam gears to reduce your overlap a bit. I have seen huge power out of these..

Be sure and have the bottom end blueprinted and balanced. Use ACL Race bearings and make sure you check the crankshaft for wear.

Cometic head gasket and Golden Eagle head studs, they are stronger than ARP because they have a larger diameter, also they are bead blasted and will torque more evenly.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

Originally Posted by Hatch Man(GsR)
Ok, for 400-500 whp you should definately sleeve it. Not because the block is not capable of holding the power, mostly because at 400-500 whp you can shatter a stock sleeve instantly with only a small hiccup in your tune.

Use the wiseco pistons, SRP has a relatively high silicone content and at high horsepower, your EGT will be higher. Also, 9.0 is a good compression ratio...

Use the gsr block, the increased displacement will make it easier to make the power.

As for cam selection, go with Skunk2 stage 3 all motor cams and adjust the cam gears to reduce your overlap a bit. I have seen huge power out of these..

Be sure and have the bottom end blueprinted and balanced. Use ACL Race bearings and make sure you check the crankshaft for wear.

Cometic head gasket and Golden Eagle head studs, they are stronger than ARP because they have a larger diameter, also they are bead blasted and will torque more evenly.

I would agree with almost all of the above but I would use an OEM Honda head gasket. If you happen to do an over bore then get the gasket from Golden Eagle.

What is the plan with the turbo? Are you using a dual scroll turbo? If you are I would look at the skunk 2 pro 1's if it is going to be a track car. If it is a street car you might want to go with the tuner series for better idle. With the engine out of the car have it degreed to make sure that the cams are dialed in right.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

jwaym24 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is all gibberish to me.....lol...so who in the richmond area should i get to balance and blueprint my engine.? Well thanks for all the help and keep the ideas coming!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 AM
-Rep Legion

Broke B16 has disabled reputation

I'd personally take it to Inline Pro. A little further than Richmond and a little bit more expensive but its worth it IMO to have a reputable shop do my work.

P.S. - GSR heads and B16 heads flow the same.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by 1Bar EM1
P.S. - GSR heads and B16 heads flow the same.
No they don't.

OP. Go with teh 1.8 block. Use the C1 head.
Stay with stock cams unless you want to waste your money.

Invest in a nice set of springs and retainers. Use the wisecos and a nice quality rod.

I personally use both stock and cometic headgaskets and have had success on both.

If you DO must go with a big cam, make sure you use a tubular manifold.
All motor cams + tubular manifold + big exhaust side = power.
All motor cams + log/cast manifold + no matter the exhaust side = loss in power.

Research.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
-Rep Legion

Broke B16 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jarrod
No they don't.

Research.
What makes you say this? I researched it myself. Theres a HUGE write up thread on H-T about this. They do & I'll find the link for you. Well technically they don't but its not enough to make a difference in power if thats what your trying to say?

:EDIT: Here you go.

Last edited by Broke B16; 01-13-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Hatch Man(GsR)
and Golden Eagle head studs, they are stronger than ARP because they have a larger diameter
Did you really just say that? Do you really believe that?

As far as I know, the tensile strength of the Golden Eagle and the ARP are virtually identical. They are also made from different materials (8740 ARP, 4340 Golden Eagle), and have different heat treating processes (obviously because of the different materials). I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that you can't tell strength by looking at two fasteners of the same size.

So how are you going to blindly say that one is stronger than the other because it's slightly bigger?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Eh

NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay

my setup

ls block stock sleeves
je pistons Roughly 10.1
Eagle rods
Ported gsr head
Ctr cams
Victor X manifold
Peakboost kit with a 35r

I made 527 on pump and 630 on race... and its a pretty basic setup... you can make really good power on a basic setup if all your parts work together and make awesome happen rather then them trying to fight each other BUT i would def recomend getting your block sleeved if you have the money

Last edited by NaIsGay; 01-13-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

If you are planning on having a shop put the engine together I would call a couple of them to get an idea on the price. I know that someone said Inline Pro but I would call others to compare the price to what work is being done. I have used Jim Justice in the past and I think that he does good work but it might take a little while but I was getting a race motor put together.

If you are in a price issue you really do not need aftermarket came to make power. I am making 800+ with GSR cams and they seem to work just fine.

Quick Reply: Building boosted gsr BLOCK G OR SLEEVE?