Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

boost spikes

Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: boost spikes

You're controlling the wastegate mechanically with pressure (including vacuum), and there can be some mechanical innaccuracy. The wastegate can't move immediatly when the pressure changes, so there can be some control lag, which can cause mild spikes. Also, the wastegate might not be able to flow enough to control the boost pressure during transients. While the turbo is changing speed, and you change the amount of exhaust energy (by diverting it through the wastegate), the compressor wheel can still keep spooling a little, so that can cause spikes. The faster it's going, the longer it takes to change speeds, which is why small turbos are sometimes bad for that.. Basically, some part of your system either isn't responding fast enough to changing conditions, or isn't capable of fully controlling things when the conditions change. I'm guessing that the wastegate isn't flowing enough early enough to put the reins on the turbo. If you don't have a boost controller, this is common. Manual boost controllers (non-electronic) have this problem also. Your wastegate location doesn't sound that great, but I don't think that's going to be a problem. It is true that if you move your wastegate line from the turbo to the intake manifold, you'll get a smoother signal. You'll also get slower response time though.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-27-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Re: boost spikes

Well i currently dont have a dumptube and am running a open wastegate. Would that have anything to do with it?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That should make things better, not worse. That's not your problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Wii
Retired OG

Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii

Originally Posted by black6gen
Well to tell you the truth i wouldnt be positive on what shitty placement would be but my manifold is a log style Drag. The wastegate is placed on the far right runner.
I thought Revhard manifold are the only log style that place the WG on the far right. I seen Drag manifold placed in the middle.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by black6gen
Well to tell you the truth i wouldnt be positive on what shitty placement would be but my manifold is a log style Drag. The wastegate is placed on the far right runner.
Being placed on the far right runner is a terrible spot. Thats probably your main problem right there.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

My drag manifold is from a turbonetics kit, and its on the far right side also,right between the last and next to last runner.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Racetracks

At low pressure the placement isn't that critical, the wastegate only has to bypass enough volume to control what it needs. At low pressure the flow needed to do that isn't very much, so placement isn't too important. If the manifold is too small on that end though, which many log style manis are, that could be a problem, yes.. I always worry about the cast aftermarket stuff because the casting quality usually sucks, so it may be a good idea to check out the manifold inside and see if there are any obvious flow restrictions. A quick hand porting job around the wastegate flange might do some good.