Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Boost Leak Help

Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam
Default Boost Leak Help

I have a Single Cam turbo setup. I'm trying to run 10psi and so far the most I can get out of it is 5psi and thats if I'm lucky. I have replaced all the couplers, and all the vacuum lines. I re-routed the intercooler piping to bypass the intercooler and still nothing. Running out of ideas. I'm going to swap out the intake manifold and tb gasket tomorrow. Anyone else have any thoughts. I'm getting pretty frustrated. Where the hell else can it be leaking?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Boost Leak Help

how do you know it's a boost leak and not a wastegate or boost controller problem?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

i was gonna say... sounds like the wastegate is stuck open.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

Originally Posted by spic
how do you know it's a boost leak and not a wastegate or boost controller problem?
Was the first thing I checked. The wastegate isn't stuck. I tried three different boost controllers and then I got brave and pulled the vacuum from the wastegate. Still nothing. Keep em comin
Old 04-20-2005, 02:51 PM
My President's black

MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait

wha about all the gaskets? do you have a gasket between the wastegate and the turbo manifold? after you hit 5 pounds can you still here the turbo spooling or does it stop?

i would try a differnet wastegate and take the boost controll off, and then try to hit the watesgate which should be like 7
Old 04-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I'M BACK

PRO-Habit

def. sounds like the wastegate. Is it internally wastegated or is an external? On my turbo set up i had an internall wastegate...i had my boost set at 10psi sometimes it would get stuck shut and my boost would shoot up to around 16 psi. It Sucked. caused me to blow a head gasket. Id check the wastegate first before you go and change the manifold and gaskets and stuff.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

It's internal wastegate and I have checked it over and over. It works, and as for the boost controller....I've even run with the vacuum off the wastegate so it's not that. It spools up until redline.....I'm hitting 5psi there. I'm not getting 5 psi and it just stops. It's anooying the hell out of me. guess I should have said right off that when I start my car I get a little lope at Idle, So I'm pretty sure I had a vaccum leak before, just not sure where. Any other weird places it could be leaking from before I take the manifold off. (not that big a deal, but I always drop that damn middle rear bolt in the gravel over and over)
Old 04-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

do a pressure test. go on google and search for the DIY way to do it, you can do it out of misc. bullshit from home depot and an air compressor.