Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Blown heater core...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Auto Body Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jojoedancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Blown heater core...

So my heater core on my 96 VW Golf blew and I don't have the money for a shop to fix it.
Anyone know of a mobile mechanic or someway to fix this so I don't have to take out the whole dash... I already purchased the part.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Oh hey

TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr
Default Re: Blown heater core...

95% of the time if a DIY/shop manual says the dash needs to come out to get to the heater core, thats what has to happen.

1) Dive into it yourself. It's just a glorified coolant hose. All you really need is a set of screwdrivers, some sort of directions, and a set of sockets. The hardest thing you'll have to do is take out the steering column and re-align the knuckle... and that may not even be required.

2) ACDelco (only brand I'll touch) Stop-Leak (AKA "Coolant Tabs") and a for-sale sign
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Auto Body Apprentice

jojoedancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blown heater core...

Originally Posted by TiredToyotaDrvr
95% of the time if a DIY/shop manual says the dash needs to come out to get to the heater core, thats what has to happen.

1) Dive into it yourself. It's just a glorified coolant hose. All you really need is a set of screwdrivers, some sort of directions, and a set of sockets. The hardest thing you'll have to do is take out the steering column and re-align the knuckle... and that may not even be required.

2) ACDelco (only brand I'll touch) Stop-Leak (AKA "Coolant Tabs") and a for-sale sign
I was afraid those were my only two options...
I guess I'm gonna have to try and find a friend so that I can ask for a favor.