Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b16 rebuild help

Old 10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delsol_rider has disabled reputation
Default b16 rebuild help

ok i have a b16 block. it was bored to a 1.8. i want to go turbo but cant find the pistons i should use or know what compression i should be looking for. my friend said i can use itr and run like 15 lbs. at the most. thats good with me. he said also to upgrade to better rods. it will probably be a stock head except port and polish, cams and gears. will this motor run good or will it be to much and blow? whats a good compression to run on turbo? let me know
Old 10-06-2004, 04:49 AM
All-Motor Street Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: b16 rebuild help

Hold on. Its bored to 1.8? So you sleeved it, but your trying to use stock R pistons?

It won't work. In order to make a b16 a 1.8l, you either need to sleeve it, and bore to 85mm (1747liters) or you need to stroke the block using another crank (most likely an 89mm LS crank)

Either way the pistons you are trying to use are probably 81mm. If what you say is true you must use an aftermarket piston (unless you used the LS crank, then you can use an 81mm piston.

As far as how much to boost, its really hard to say. The tuning is the key. You don't build a turbo engine by saying, "I want to run 15psi." You need to have a HP goal in mind, and work from there.

You have an idea of what you want, but you are missing some important details. Answer these questions so we can better help you:

1> How much power do you want (HP)
2> Is this your only form of transportation
3> What kind of turbo do you have
4> What form of engine management (if any)

Last edited by JayDM; 10-06-2004 at 05:05 AM.