Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B16 crank pulley question

Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt
Default B16 crank pulley question

This is probably a dumb ass question but hear me out. I have a hatch with a b16 in it no ps.
The crank pulley seems to be wobbling a lot more than it used to and I'm gettin a whine noise in the area.
My belts are fine and the car runs great I'm just concerned. My question is, is the pulley goin to wobble a bit without the ps belt or should it not wobble at all no matter of belts are on or not?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: B16 crank pulley question

A wobbly pulley is a bad sign. Figure out what's causing it and get it fixed or you risk major damage from a serious imbalance problem. The pulley is very strong and very stiff, and won't be affected at all by having an accessory belt on it or not. So if it's wobbly, ya got problems.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt

That's what I thought thank you for your knowledgable input as always
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

12345r has disabled reputation

replace the pulley and check timing belt for that noise and if u dont have a/c use a ctr crank pully but get it from honda bc the ebay shit is not balance and could mess up engine over a long time
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Registered Member

thegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these parts

question really quick, did the car come with ps? now that it doesnt have it now could it actually be throwing the balance off on the crank pulley? i only ask this because we had a 1998 buick la sabre come in and come to find out that the crank pulley was off balance, if im wrong, my bad on the post haha
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by thegrant
question really quick, did the car come with ps? now that it doesnt have it now could it actually be throwing the balance off on the crank pulley?
No. If it was balanced before, it's balanced now.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation

And check it right away, the pulley is attached with a bolt & held in proper alignment on the crank by a key (small piece of square metal). If the bolt is loose and the threads in the crank get damaged or the keyway in the crank gets damaged, you could face having to replace the crankshaft. I have seen this happen to others before.