Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

99 Civic throttle problem

Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough
Default 99 Civic throttle problem

On my way home from work i merged onto the interstate and all of a sudden my pedal felt like there was something stuck under it. So i pull over thinking it was my sandle or something stuck under it. And all was free. The car is idling fine, but the pedal moves maybe 1/2 an inch, and then stops. I went under the hood and the throttle cable is extremely tight, but near the throttle its self the cable has slack in it. And the trottle when you try to rev it moves 1/4 an inch. and then just stops. Im completly stuck on what the problem is. Any advise or willingness to come check it out would be appreciated. Dont know if it will help, but its bone stock.

thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 99 Civic throttle problem

anyone, i need it fixed by like 1 pm tomorrow , becuase i have to drive out to greenbrier for work =(
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

without looking at it? It could need a new throttle cable, or the spring in the tb is bad? Just guesses without looking. Your gonna have to take it apart prob.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:20 AM
FredVegas

B16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura aboutB16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura about

sounds like you have a kink or part of the cable broke and its jammed
Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Disconnect the throttle cable. Grab the throttle pulley and move it with your hand. If it freely moves, then the cable is the culprit and needs to be replaced. You can try spraying some lithium grease inside the cable way.... it might work....

I dont think the spring on the TB is bad. Otherwise you will not have the slack that you are talking about. Plus, if the TB gets stuck somewhere in the (part) open position, the TPS will send a signal to the ECU to keep dumping calculated fuel. Then your car will rev per TPS position.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Registered member

see i dont know if its the cable, because the cable doesnt tightin up fully when i move the trottle at the trottlebody. i will try looking at it today in the sun light to see if there is anything. thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

there was a recall issued about some of the throtle cables. Call a honda dealer and give them your vin number and see if your car needs any recalls performed. It may get done for free or you just need to put a new throtle cable on it your self. It never hurts to give them a call to find out though.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Jesus bilt my hotrod

Focal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these parts

Maybe hung up on something, get up under the pedal and look around. Track down the whole cable.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Registered member

ok i found out what it was. My intake pipe (crappy short ram) on the end of the filter there is a metal cap that closes the filter, well that got stuck against my trottle body plate. So it wasnt allowing it to open. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Originally Posted by cleanEK
ok i found out what it was. My intake pipe (crappy short ram) on the end of the filter there is a metal cap that closes the filter, well that got stuck against my trottle body plate. So it wasnt allowing it to open. Thanks for all the info.