Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

95 ford explorer, slipping out of 2nd gear.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RaganAsh has disabled reputation
Default 95 ford explorer, slipping out of 2nd gear.

Let me explain that I am a chick that doesn't know much about cars! So bear with me, I don't know car talk very well!

I have a 95 ford explorer that I had let sit for over a year. All it took was charging the battery, and she worked fine for a few months. I have been getting little things done since I got her moving again. New tires, oil change, and ball joints (?), nothing major. I was considering getting the tranny fluid flushed, but the day I was going to take her, I felt like it was lurching a little when going from gear to gear. I talked to a friend and they said with the car being so old with so many miles (about 230k), and me not knowing if the previous owner had ever had it changed, that it would be safer for me to not change it. Well... not even 2 weeks later, she is slipping out of 2nd gear at about 23mph. Basically in the higher RPMs right before it tries to shift to third. I should probably mention I have an automatic with 4 wheel drive (I know, I know, the horror!).

Anyways, I am freakin broke as a joke and I am probably looking at needing a new transmission. If anyone that has a ford explorer with this problem can give me some info, it would be greatly appreciated! Also if there is anyone out there that is willing to help me out, I can afford to pay a little ( I was considering getting a tranny from a junk yard and having someone put it in). My side job is selling this on eBay and locally, so if you would like me to sell some stuff for you as a trade, let me know. I usually take 60-70% of the sale, but I will do it free in exchange for getting my truck running! I am not looking forward to taking the bus again! Thanks! Feel free to comment here or send me a PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

RaganAsh has disabled reputation
Default Re: 95 ford explorer, slipping out of 2nd gear.

Crap, I forgot to mention that the overdrive light is now flashing. And when it is downshifting, it is making a loud "clunk" especially when downshifting to first gear
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 95 ford explorer, slipping out of 2nd gear.

Get the fluid changed and flushed, then you'll know where you stand. Automatics are sensitive to the condition of their fluid.