Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

94 altima brake light switch

Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Blah Blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo
Default 94 altima brake light switch

Ive got a 94 altima and the brake lights will not cut off (whether the brake pedal is depressed or not). So, I took the brake light switch off and did a continuity (sp) test. When the button on the switch is pressed the circuit is closed, but when the button isn't pressed it is open. I figured it would be the other way around because that means the lights would be on when you don't press the brakes and they would be off if you didn't. I'm not sure if there is a relay in the brake system, but any help would be nice.....thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts
Default Re: 94 altima brake light switch

well.......
I just had the problem of my brake lights being on all the time as well, whethter the car was on or off.....
Everyone thaught that it was my brake switch, but it was just the "grommet" it's a lil rubber piece that goes in a whole on the brake lever behind where the brake switch is so that when your not on the brake it pushes the switch and your tail lights turn off My car has 2switches that needs those

check to see if your Altima has one or two, and look where the brake switch button is in relation to your brake pedal lever, and if you see an empty whole, that means your missing the grommet.......look for it on your floor somewhere, they pop out after a while
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 AM

dorifto83 dorifto83

mine's broke into little pieces, so I just balled up some electrical tape, and taped up the part of the petal that touches the button. Fixed my problem.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Blah Blah

Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo Solaeo

thanks for the info

edit: thanks Carshowz i didn't know it had two, when i looked under there, the other switch was hiding behind the steering column. The grommet had fallen off.

Last edited by Solaeo; 06-07-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 AM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Solaeo
thanks for the info

edit: thanks Carshowz i didn't know it had two, when i looked under there, the other switch was hiding behind the steering column. The grommet had fallen off.
yea no prob
when i looked at mine, I saw two switches, but only noticed one of the wholes was empty, so I thought it was fine, but really paying attention the other whole for the 2nd switch is hidden