Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

91 integra rs difficulties... won't start... help please!!

Old 01-27-2005, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93civiccpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 91 integra rs difficulties... won't start... help please!!

Hello,
Someone please help me figure out this mystery problem if you can..

I got a good condition 91 integra rs that has a rebuilt stock b18a motor in it. Now, the front of it had gone down in a big puddle (almost flooding the front) when the previous owner had it, so you see rust up under the front console and a little in the engine bay. Well, the engine was rebuilt after this, but the previous owner decided to rip out the interior, the power steering, and the air conditioning to make it a drag car, but then decided he didn't want to fund it anymore.

This is when I purchased it. It ran fine... hesitated a little bit at startup but it would turn over fairly easily and ran good. Well, I had my mechanic hook the power steering and and airconditioning system back up, because I wanted a decent daily driver for my younger bro. Well, after he finally got the AC system installed, and the system charged up free of leaks, we decided to start it up to verify the AC was working. My mechanic went to re-install the battery (which is old and not marked) and he accidentally hooked the ground cable to the positive terminal and when he went to connect the power cable to the ground terminal there was a nice spark. That's when we realized the battery was backwards. We quickly switched it, and then tried to start the engine but it wouldn't turn over.

We checked the fuse box under the hood and under the driver side console but it doesn't look like any fuses blew. Then we unplugged one of the spark plug wires and tested it and realized the spark plugs weren't getting any spark. So then we opened up the distributor and tested the coil, and the coil had both terminals at ground until we tried to start it, and then one of them energized like it should. So we figured the distributor itself might be bad, so we changed out the distributor... still no luck. Then we were thinking that maybe it was the ECU, but someone told us there was a big relay hooked up under the dash with a plug going into it and that it was probably what got fried and was causing this problem. We changed it out with a new one and still no luck. We are scratching our heads trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with this. We are also looking for an ECU for a 90-91 integra rs (b18a-non-vtec motor), even if one just to plug in and see if that is our problem. Even if yours isn't for sale, but don't mind driving over to the shop in hampton to let us plug up an ECU and see if that is the problem, then that would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions as to what the problem could be is also appreciated.
Thank you in advance!!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

93civiccpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 91 integra rs difficulties... won't start... help please!!

Any ideas at all??
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Say somm!!!

NastyNate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 91 integra rs difficulties... won't start... help please!!

Sound like a possible ecu...could be alot of things though. At my shop 2 weeks ago we had a 00 Passat 1.8T, car was cross jump started. Ended up being the Ecu and the 10amp mini abs control unit fuse. I would try a test ECU then work from there...