Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

300zx rear in a s2000

Old 08-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Slammedxpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default Re: 300zx rear in a s2000

Here is what Puddy Mod does.

Originally Posted by Puddymod
We fully cryogenically treat the rear, that is every part is cryo treated that can be.
Fully built and reinforced housing that can hold upwards of 200,000 PSI stock is only 60,000 PSI
New bearings, seals, and hardware are used
Fully de-burred and polished gears for smoother, cooler, and more quiet operation.
Black phosphate finishing (same process used in firearms )
Solid custom sleeved pinion (no crush collar) we use 10/20 mandrel steel (seamless)
Fresh paint on the housing
Precision balanced assembly of rear using better than factory tolerances.

The PuddyMod solid steel sleeve is made of 10/20 mandrel steel it is seamless and will not distort or compress. It is turned and machined by hand in several lathes until the proper size and fit is achieved. Each sleeve is made one at a time and is unique to it’s housing and gear set. We do not shim the sleeve, we custom fit it to your rear.

Solid steel sleeves have been around for a long time. They have been used in high performance differentials for many years by top race teams that are serious about finishing and winning.

In high horse power and hard track driven cars these sleeves are a must have, or you may find your self sitting on the side lines with a blown diff, watching the competition pass you by.

The only gears made state side for our car is Richmond 4.56/57 gears. The 3.91, 4.10, 4.3, 4.44, and 4.77 gear sets are all OEM for one car maker or another, they are made in Japan.

PuddyMod housing good for 200,000 stock is 60,000 PSI $1,150

PuddyMod custom solid steel sleeve distance collar
$200 installed

PuddyMod Balance & Blueprinted precision assembly Comes with pics and build sheet
$350

SubZero cryogenics service
$135

Polished ring and Pinion gears
Black phosphate finished $100

Stock 4.10 gears $250 (used) when available best for FI thumbsup.gif

3.91 gears $market price

4.44 gears $market price

4.77 gears $market price

Richmond 4.56 gears Best for N/A
$market price

Bearings, seals, shim, and hardware
$175

Stock LSD
$350

Modified rear cover
$250

Core return credit for good complete rear differential
$400

Bad or blown core return $200

Nothing is 100% bullet proof , even in the pros of NHRA drag racing brake stuff all the time. If it were possible to make a rear unbreakable these guys would have it.

Our rear fails for a few reasons, over stressed cast iron bearing caps, crush sleeve compression during hard launches, and driver error. Even if the cap dose not brake it will stretch and distort causing improper gear aliment, then boom gear or LSD failure happens.
I have received good cores with bearing cap bolts that were twisted from the caps stretching.
I have also seen pinions with little to no turning torque due to crush sleeve fatigue.

All gears whine even if it's not that loud. The stock 4.10 will wine you just have to listen for it. The amount of whine will depend on how the gears are setup or how aggressive the gear is. I will take many days with one rear if need be to get a pattern and backlash I can be happy to put my name on. I have had great luck with the Richmond 4.56 gear sets.
The amount of whine that they produce when setup right is not bad, it is less loud than the exhaust and is only present at certain RPM ranges
I have 4.56 gears in my car (third set) and like them best.
This is what we do,
Old 08-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

But what actually happened to me is I broke an Axle. I'm lowered and I didn't have the half shaft spacers (They are the red item between the shaft and diff)

and I'm very well sure you already know, but for the people who don't when you don't run the half shaft spacers and you are lowered the angle of the Inner cv joint is almost in a bind. What happens is when you lower it a decent amount the halfshaft is stretched about 10mm on both sides. So what the spacer does it bring it 10mm back out so they aren't stretched and will have a higher longevity.

I've done a bit of research on it now haha. I took my cv axle apart, the inner boot was twisted, I took all the guts of the axle out and cleaned all the grease off and found I broke the Spider assembly. I cracked it and all that was happening was the axle was spinning inside of it making a gawd awful sound. I really thought I blew my rear end.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 AM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

Originally Posted by 93celicaowner
im pretty sure hes talking about East coast Z
the owner is pretty damn cool, he lives right around the corner from me, they usually have some sexy Z's in the driveway, his son has an extremely sexy g35. They are def. all good people and they know what they're talking about.

and what the hell happened to getting rid of the s2k mang?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by all4sr's
the owner is pretty damn cool, he lives right around the corner from me, they usually have some sexy Z's in the driveway, his son has an extremely sexy g35. They are def. all good people and they know what they're talking about.

and what the hell happened to getting rid of the s2k mang?
I can't get rid of it. I'm too attached. I bought a homedics pillow for my back tho haha.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 AM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

Originally Posted by I spy Psi,No?
I can't get rid of it. I'm too attached. I bought a homedics pillow for my back tho haha.
lolz, dont lie, your back pains are from teh buttsecks and you bought a doughnut

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Slammedxpert

lolz, dont lie, your back pains are from teh buttsecks and you bought a doughnut

-rep for telling when I told you not to.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 AM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

-rep for telling when I told you not to.

in all seriousness though, GL with the swap/new rearend

no pun intended
Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 AM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I like the mods that they're doing, but it seems like an awful lot of money to throw at a poor OEM diff design.[/I]
I think you pretty much answered yourself on that. If the diff sucks, why not throw money at it. The design itself wasn't poor, the stock diff will get you around a road course just fine, which is what it was intended for. It definitly wasn't designed for clutch dumps at 9,000 rpm (probally should have been) or to hold an extra 100hp. This could apply to any other car in some form or another. Actually, it kinda applys to the performance scene as a whole, it's pretty much why we mod our cars in the first place right? Besides, dealing with a shitty rear end is just part of having an s2000 (among other things).

The inlinePRO kit WITHOUT THE DIFF is a little under $4,000, not including axles/drive shaft, etc. The puddymod STAGE2 diff is $1,500 w/ core, $1900 w/o core, holds 350hp and bolts right in. By comparison, the puddymod sounds like a win to me.

P.S. Sorry if the "google it" comment came off a little assholey, didn't mean it that way <3
Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Slammedxpert

in all seriousness though, GL with the swap/new rearend

no pun intended
Thanks, Axles showed up today. Waiting on Driveshaft Spacers. going to rock the same unbroken rear as of right now and save up some skrillaz and get the puddy mod/axles/hubs and build a motor for boost ect..going to take a little while though, everything for an s2000 is uber expensive.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

and I'm very well sure you already know, but for the people who don't when you don't run the half shaft spacers and you are lowered the angle of the Inner cv joint is almost in a bind. What happens is when you lower it a decent amount the halfshaft is stretched about 10mm on both sides. So what the spacer does it bring it 10mm back out so they aren't stretched and will have a higher longevity.
So the spacers correct the problem with the axle length, but that doesn't explain how the shaft angle is corrected. If you have a (angular) misalignment problem because the joints are too close together compared to the offset distance of the two shafts, you're only making it worse by adding a spacer. Now the joints are closer together, making the joint angle even worse. Basically the middle shaft section is like the hypotenuse of a triangle. If you put a spacer in, you're making that angle steeper and the hypotenuse more vertical.

So is the real issue here that the joints can actually cope with the angular misalignment by itself, but they can't cope with the angular misalignment if the shaft is under tension? Explain more about what the actual problem is...

I'm just confused because the solution to the problem appears to fix a different problem instead.

Quick Reply: 300zx rear in a s2000