Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

240sx replace timing chain

Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikerod has disabled reputation
Default 240sx replace timing chain

im thinking about buying an 89 240sx, but it needs the timing chain replaced. this would be my first nissan as i have always owned hondas. how hard would it be for me to try and tackle this myself. also where could i take it to get it done and how much would that person possibly charge. im located in chesapeake if that helps
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed
Default Re: 240sx replace timing chain

I would definitely NOT try that yourself. As for where to get it done, I only fucks with Honduh.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

mikerod has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dillweed
I would definitely NOT try that yourself. As for where to get it done, I only fucks with Honduh.
damn, i looked up the manual and it looks like the top chains easy but the bottom one is the one thats a bitch cuz id have to take PS pump off, unhook radiator,take the fan off.im trying to find somewhere to do and for a reasonable price. and yeah i been fucking with the honders for awhile and wanted a change
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Registered Member

04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be honest if you have ever done any tinkering with cars the timing chain on the 240 especially the SOHC really isnt that hard to do I have done six of them now and yeah outside of removing the fan and radiator to make room for it you really dont have to remove the PS pump you just need to loosen it and move it out of the way use like a bungy cord or something to hold it out of the way.

Here is a great article for step by step from people that have done this a million times
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/cha...ain-ka24e.html

If you dont want to do it though I recommend Tidewater Z Auto Service in Poquoson Todd is the Mechanic there he is a Nissan God when it comes to working on a Nissan he is the man to go to. Anyway www.tidewaterz.com (757) 868-6753

Hope this all helps

Don
Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

If you decide to do this yourself, I have a big recommendation that wasn't listed in the NICO article: either pull the motor, or suspend the motor and drop the crossmember. Once you pull the timing cover, you break the seal of the upper oil pan. Once that's done, you can get leaks at the pan since the pan needs a continuous bead of gasket maker all the way around the pan's sealing surface.