Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

**02 WRX not shifting into 2nd**

Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soobygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default **02 WRX not shifting into 2nd**

Anyone got any good transmission guys out there? I've recently had a new block, turbo, a new pre-cat, a new spo intake and a new clutch and two weeks after it was at Perry Sub for a month(and after it was back there 3 times for a CEL) my car will not shift into 2nd gear!! They seem to think that my internal gears are worn or twisted...I just dropped $2k into the car and now another grand??? Any one got any suggestions or want to buy this baby?? Let me know! (oh and i'm serious about letting her go too)

Last edited by soobygirl; 03-27-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: **02 WRX not shifting into 2nd**

Could be a synchro problem too, but there should be some RPM range that it should still shift. 2nd and 3rd are fairly weak in 02 models, so if you've been launching hard you may have done some nice damage. It still sounds like a synchro problem though.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Judging by your recent repairs, maybe the best thing you can do for your car is a new owner?

For real though, sounds more like a broke synchro or possibly damaged rail or fork to me.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

irregardless, the case will have to be split. unless, by chance, there is something hitting the very, very short shaft sticking out of the rear of the tranny. but that scenario is unlikely.

and believe me, from past experience, that trans is probly cooked. i grenaded every tooth off of first on the mainshaft, and then proceeded to shred the second gear countergear.

those trannies are weak. add in a non-driver, and they make big pieces into little ones.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm actually a very good driver..been driving for over 16 years now, and grew up with performance cars, my dad is a Corvette enthusiast. Guess I could explain the past history with my car. Granted I drive it, and now after doing research I see that the tranny in this year is just not good! And launching off the line...yup that's me! Guys are always thinking they can take me, I think cause I'm a chick... Anyway, I'm a very good powerful driver.... My car has been in and out of Perry Subaru for the past 8 weeks. First loud scary noises from the engine. (New block, turbo and cat, and upgraded stage 1 clutch) then 3 times after being in the shop for about a month for CEL's. They replaced something with my fuel system. Then 2 weeks later, no 2nd gear. My other half seems to think they did something to it while they were working on it??? I don't know what to think anymore, to be honest I'm over the whole thing, I'm 4 months pregnant with my 2nd child and I just want a car this is quick, and won't be in and out of the shop after I own it for not quite 5 years!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ

give keinan a call 547-2888 and see if he has anything laying around
Old 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, does he work at a shop...close to the beach, or norfolk?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ

chespeake All Aspects is the name give him a call he's there now
Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

How would one know if it is a syncho problem? My friend pointed out that parked it will go about 25% into 2nd gear, and no further. I tried shifting in different rpm bands with no luck...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

Gompers is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a guy who bitches all the time about his 02 subaru.
He has gone through two trannies alltogether now.

Quick Reply: **02 WRX not shifting into 2nd**