Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Thinkin about gettin a diesel...

Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RX7LT1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinkin about gettin a diesel...

cool
Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 AM

aftermarket4x4 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BrokenBronco
Eh. Not an issue now. Cock sucker sold it out from under me.
Diesels are the deal for towing and get better mileage than the gas....and last longer!

You need this one for $10,000:

2001 F350 4x4 7.3 Diesel, auto, 4- Door, long bed (8 ft), all power, 168,000 miles, runs and drives great. Has a few dents and dings since it has been a work truck and it needs a new home:

E-mail me at aftermarket4x4@cox.net if interested

Sean
Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

GmManDan has disabled reputation

I would avoid dodge Auto trans before 2006 dodge also had a problem with the lift pump failure and the old 53 casting that cummins used for a while that had a tendendcy to crack. I would avoid the 6.0 ford diesel alot of head issues and internals. I would also avoid the Gm 6.2 and 6.5 diesels as the 6.2 was a poorly designed motor and did not have a long life. The 6.5 had alot of computer failures and had a tendency to over heat. I would focus on a ford 7.3 , dodge with a stick shift and a duramax with a allison.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Brennan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GmManDan
I would avoid dodge Auto trans before 2006 dodge also had a problem with the lift pump failure and the old 53 casting that cummins used for a while that had a tendendcy to crack. I would avoid the 6.0 ford diesel alot of head issues and internals. I would also avoid the Gm 6.2 and 6.5 diesels as the 6.2 was a poorly designed motor and did not have a long life. The 6.5 had alot of computer failures and had a tendency to over heat. I would focus on a ford 7.3 , dodge with a stick shift and a duramax with a allison.
Perfectly stated.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Broke

QwkCoupe has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GmManDan
Most of the "53" issues were trucks cranking out a shit load of power, not in stock form. The trans is considered a weak point (as with any diesel bar the allison) but aftermarket has that covered. Mine is at 170K plus, towing reguarly and is just now starting to give problems. Lift pump failure was from 98.5-03, simple cure convert it to the newer style in tank unit for about $250before it starts dropping pressure and ruins the injection pump. Cummins is by far the most reliable diesel out there. The 6.5 isnt that bad of an engine. It had some overheating problems, let any engine run hot and it is gonna cause problems. The diesel being more expensive to fix (heads/gaskets blah blah) that they got a bad rap. An ounce of prevention with these engines will save a shit load of expense to cure. The computer problems were due to poor design that overheated some of the electrical, again the have easy fixes. Duramax/allison is a good combo but the GM IFS is weak as shit. Havent had much expierence with the 7.3 but they seem to be good engines. Little more complicated to work on than the cummins, and I hear alot of complaints about fuel mileage. The 6.0 is a flaming pile of dog shit... Overall I'd go with a diesel even with the fuel being more expensive. My cummins gets 20-24mpg towing or not, my gas F250 gets about 8-10mpg, and my gas Ram 1500 gets 15mpg on a good day. Not to mention a programmer and exhaust and you've got power for days. I dont think you'll go wrong buying one just do your research on whatever you choose. Fix any of the common issues and it'll save you money and headache down the road.
Just my 2cents