Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Suggestions....05 silverado lift?

Old 05-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ruggwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suggestions....05 silverado lift?

putting a lift on a new truck is not that hard, especially with an all inclusive kit. The hardest part of putting on a lift is usually getting the old, rusted, mud-encrusted suspension off. You should be able to do the whole lift with a jack and two jack stands and hand tools. It is basically swapping stock parts for bigger ones, so it is not that complicated
Old 05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Patron

Boxer4PSI has disabled reputation

Don't go cheap on a lift kit because it will come back to haunt you. I would go with RCD. Silverados have IFS (at least the 1500s do), so the lift kits will be more complicated and expensive then a lift for a Super Duty or Heavy Duty Dodge or a Dodge from the 90s (all of them have straight axle suspension which is much more simplistic and actually more rugged then IFS).

You will have to go at least five inches for 35s. If you don't go with at least five, the tires will still fit, BUT your suspension won't be able to flex very much at all b/c the big tires don't have room to manuever around much.

Stay away from body kits. They are actually MUCH MUCH more labor intensive to install then suspension lifts. Also, if you go cheap and don't get the rubber covers, you expose your engine to mud and all the other junk that your aggressive mud tires kick up.

Also, don't forget to align your suspension once the lift kit is on, or else you will kill your tires off pretty quick. I found this last bit out the hard way when I installed a 3 inch suspension lift on my old Dodge truck.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Is Watching You

litlespicisgay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 05chevyyy
So your saying you sold one for 3100 that dosent include instalation which is not cheap
no sorry i just sold that truck. and the point i was getting across was i did not go cheap at all on that truck top notch shit and it was still only 3100 to my door. i did my own install. but then again i was not on drag va asking ppl what i should do.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Non Spelling Asshole

Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez

WE did your install adam,,,<3
Old 05-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

05chevyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think im gonna go 6 inch and try and install myself. My truck only has 4000 miles on it so I dont think the old suspencion will be too hard to get off. Any suggestions as to where I should buy.....websites....w.e
Old 05-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

tdrewry is an unknown quantity at this point

i would not lift a daily...i lifted my blazer and it was my daily for a while...i couldnt stand to drive it everyday anymore so i had to get a DD....lifted trucks are not fun to drive every day...i would put 33's and leave it be
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 AM
Is Watching You

litlespicisgay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Natchez
WE did your install adam,,,<3
i remember wanting to kill you that day also. hey you need to come by the house and check out the new stuff for the gmc
Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 AM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Originally Posted by tdrewry
i would not lift a daily...i lifted my blazer and it was my daily for a while...i couldnt stand to drive it everyday anymore so i had to get a DD....lifted trucks are not fun to drive every day...i would put 33's and leave it be
Whats wrong with having a lifted daily?

I have 9"s of lift and 37"s and drive it everywhere. Of course I didnt skimp on anything either and have about $3500 into it with the lift, wheels and tires. And it rides great. I honestly rides like it did stock.

I have the Fabtech lift on mine and did the install with the help of my dad in about 10 hours. That includes mounting the new wheels and tires.

Last edited by _____; 05-21-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

xp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by tdrewry
whats the point of lifting a truck and not driving it?? or using it for that matter, you just put an ass ton of money into it so y not drive it?? if your complaining about gas prices well bascially you schoudnt be driving a truck, go get a 4 banger, in most cases these new lift kits will imporove your trucks handling and ride so IMO get your moneys worth out of your truck.....
Old 05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

ruggwood is an unknown quantity at this point

lifting a daily driver is fun cuz you get people commenting on it all the time, and if you do it right, it will drive great. i had an old chevy on 35" BFG M/Ts with over 400 ponies and it still got about 15 mpg and I drove it every day, and even took it on a trip to NYC and back (that was pushing it on the comfort level though). But for around town, it was awesome, and locally on the highway, it cruised great.

Quick Reply: Suggestions....05 silverado lift?