Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Question

Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby
Default Question

I've been debating on picking up a truck and i have a question. I'm looking at the 2000 and up chevy and gmc fullsize 4x4 pickups and the question is how good is the push button 4wd system they have for them, i'm use to the older pickups the the 4wd engaging system with the extra shifter on the floor or the older ones with the solid front axles and the lockers for the 4wd. What are some of the cons and some of the pluses? How reliable are they and are there any other types of maintence(sp) required other than the basic's? What should i look for when looking at the used pickups? Ect, ect. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question

As far as the 4wd goes, it works fine and it's a rather reliable system.

Manual hubs are more sought after because it actually unlocks and allows your wheels to spin freely. Auto hubs and a.d.d. hubs typically still keep the axles locked to an extent.

I'm sure that warn makes a kit to switch the hubs over to manual style hubs if you really want it.

If you plan on lifting it, look into options to see how it is lifted whether it is a bracket lift that will not change the angles on the cv shafts or some other method. The more angle put on the cv's, the more stress and that is when manual hubs are a nice advantage.

Are you looking for something to just drive on the street and use 4wd occasionally or to actually take offroad?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby
Default Re: Question

Originally Posted by cootees
Are you looking for something to just drive on the street and use 4wd occasionally or to actually take offroad?
Thanks for the info stated. I plan on using it as a daily and taking it offroad on occasionally being as i do not know where any areas are around here are for taking it offroading. I've owned cars since i've been in Va so i know very few offroading areas around here.