Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

my new to me 98 XJ hitting the rocks

Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my new to me 98 XJ hitting the rocks

Originally Posted by TwistnBrn..Rubr
Thanks for your input. I'm just looking for some basics now so i can do some research and start compiling a parts list so that next spring i can have everything rounded up and put it all together.
Depends on what you really want to do with your rig...simple camping/wheeling? Or blown out rock crawling or mud booging?

Cherokees (XJ's) look sweet midly built on 33's
Old 07-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

I just bought a 90 XJ 2 door 5speed to DD around these hills up here, Dumped + Ohio is no bueno. Longterm I plan on lifting the XJ but i have no experience in the art of lifting, just slamming . So what should i look into, i'm thinking like 6in or so. Brands? Tires? Helpful tidbits?
Yeah if you want to keep it a DD then 33's will do fine for you. Most likely will want to regear if you have anything < 3.73's gearing. 4-5in lift will clear 33's. May want to do some trimming of the fenders and throw on TJ fender flares (Looks really good in my opinion) Get on Jeep Forum and Pirate4x4. Jeep forum decent info on anything bolt on. When you start talking 1ton axles, welding, etc is when the mall crawlers over there won't say much. There are some good info over there and helpful guys if you can find them. Pirate4x4 seems like a bunch of assholes but there is a lot of people that know their stuff there.

As far as tires, depends on what you want to do. For a dd/weekend trail rig then a mud terrain like BF's KM2 been getting good reviews as an all around good tire. MTZ's are a good tire. Don't do all-terrains. Great on road but you will want to kill yourself on trails.

I run a 35in boggers right now and I love the noise they give going down the road but my rig sits in the garage and never gets driven. I have 1ton axles in the garage and one day I'll put them on and go bigger tires.

Long arm suspension will ride 10times better then short arm suspension. Rubicon Express makes a good all around lift. So does Rock Krawler and a few others.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

I've got 5.5" lift and my 33s still didn't clear.
For my liftkit i pieced it all together either from forums or sites having sales or CL. 5.5" lift, outlaw2 wheels, and 33x12.5 ended up costing me about $1100ish all said and done.

my lift consists of - Rustys 4" front springs
-some ebay 1.75" coil spacers
-RC adjustable LCAS
-RC front shocks
-Procomp rear shocks
-Rustys quick discos
-TJ rear brake line
-RE 3.5" rear leaf pack
-ebay 2" shackles
-1" t-case drop (for now)
-RC steering stablizer
-15x10 outlaw2 wheels
- 33x12.5 all terains

(LCA's not installed in pic and front only lifted about 4.5" then)

Last edited by BeefCake; 07-19-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Doesn't give a fuck

TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr

I hate hijacking the thread and on that note OP the XJ looks good. It looks like it fits well in the terrain you're frequenting, lol.

Justin, It'll stay a DD until i blow it up and 33's were what i was idealy looking to get. Nothing too big but enough that i go out back and tear some shit up ( I live on 165 acres) or take it to some of the bogs and trails around here.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber

lol this is VAdriven, not TALIBANdriven

looks like ur on to a good start...for quality, id say a Rusty's kit would be your best bet, but there's not a lot of lifting you can do and still stay 100% streetable and reliable.

a good 3" lift on 31's would be the bee's knees. remember, you dont need 38's and a 8" lift to go places...low center of gravity is where it's at!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Doesn't give a fuck

TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr

Originally Posted by phyber
lol this is VAdriven
You have balls for that signature. lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

I hate hijacking the thread and on that note OP the XJ looks good. It looks like it fits well in the terrain you're frequenting, lol.

Justin, It'll stay a DD until i blow it up and 33's were what i was idealy looking to get. Nothing too big but enough that i go out back and tear some shit up ( I live on 165 acres) or take it to some of the bogs and trails around here.
Get the saw out cut up some fenders and add TJ flares. Free extra clearance plus the price of flares. Remember Rubicon flares are a little larger, covering more tire

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/x...2/index29.html

edit: I have a BUNCH of OEM TJ flares in the garage to
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Doesn't give a fuck

That's not a bad idea. You may be hearing from me about some of those flares this fall.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

okay so on the cherokee forum im slowly learning more and more.. thanks for hijacking and providing more info here also

so this AAL add a leaf kit thing.. yay or nay. i keep looking at other jeeps around here noticing mine is the absolute lowest. These budget lifts are starting to seem appealing if 150$ is about the max im paying for it. I dont think ill be talked into getting bigger tires though with the short time im going to own this thing. tires will probably be 150 EACH eh?

so since all my cool tools are at home and my experience has been lowering cars and R&R springs and coil overs.. should i be attempting this out here having to even hunt down a jack and stands?

im pissed off i cant even order/mail out some charcoal wheel paint! they dont have it (and alot of other stuff) here. ugh
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Benz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nismo300zr2
so this AAL add a leaf kit thing.. yay or nay. i keep looking at other jeeps around here noticing mine is the absolute lowest.

so since all my cool tools are at home and my experience has been lowering cars and R&R springs and coil overs.. should i be attempting this out here having to even hunt down a jack and stands?

im pissed off i cant even order/mail out some charcoal wheel paint! they dont have it (and alot of other stuff) here. ugh
AAL's are not that hard to install but you should to remove the axle during the install to make it easiest so jack stands are a MUST for that...

Quick Reply: my new to me 98 XJ hitting the rocks