Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Jeep conversion questions

Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Jeep conversion questions

I haven't had a Jeep in a LONG time, but I just picked up a new CJ7 last night. Unlike my last CJ7, this one has the 4cyl instead of the 258, and has no power steering. I don't mind the 4 banger, but I'm curious if there is a conversion both in put in power steering, and also to make this fuel injected? I remember reading somewhere about old Jeep conversions and I believe I read about an FI one. Curious if anyone has any info on it.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Re: Jeep conversion questions

why dont you come just pick up this 258 in my garage?

As for conversions, what you need to do is get a 6 cyl in there.

The newer style head bolts on with minor mods, you can also strap on the FI system.

So come get this 258.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

But the little itty bitty 4cyl only has 12k miles on it

I might do that Nick, lemme find out if I have a place to put it for now.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

If you're going to spend all the money, time, and effort to do an engine swap, at least put in a better engine than a carbed 258. Drop in a FI 4.0L, and an AX-15 manual tranny. It's simple, lost cost conversion, and the parts are easily and quickly available.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
If you're going to spend all the money, time, and effort to do an engine swap, at least put in a better engine than a carbed 258. Drop in a FI 4.0L, and an AX-15 manual tranny. It's simple, lost cost conversion, and the parts are easily and quickly available.
The 4.2L is a great motor with the FI swap done on it. If I had the time I'd build a stroker with that. 4.6. I'll take a 4.6L motor with 269 HP and a whooping 339 ft/lbs @3200 RPM all day in a CJ-7

All for under $1200ish.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
The 4.2L is a great motor with the FI swap done on it. If I had the time I'd build a stroker with that. 4.6. I'll take a 4.6L motor with 269 HP and a whooping 339 ft/lbs @3200 RPM all day in a CJ-7

All for under $1200ish.
You could do the stroker for under 1200, not including the engine swap that this guy needs.

Today, with the need for fuel efficientcy, a simple FI 4L is what this guy whats, i think. It will be a little more for this swap than putting in a 258, but in the end, it will be much more reliable.

PS, i myself did have the 258 carbed, and put the 4L head on it. A stroker would have been nice too.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Josh here is a website if you ever intend to do any kind of swap:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm

bookmark it.

The 4 cyl is the "iron duke" and was made by GM not AMC like the 252/258. With the 252/258 engines you can swap the newer Jeep cylinder heads on, wire up about 6 or so wires and be running fuel injection on them.

I believe it was 99+ that has the best flowing heads, those are the ones to look for.

A complete 4.0L engine swap is fairly simple but requires a few key parts. A google search will send you to a bunch of sites that have people who had them done.

Nothing is wrong with the I4 or I6 carb'd except they get crappy gas mileage compared to the FI. You can always overcome the lack of power out of the I4 (90hp I think) with a set of gears in the rear. Something like 4.10's would work depending on the tire size. But the offset is if you do much highway driving, you're going to be fairly high in RPMS.

Personally, if I ever got my intrest back in my jeep, Id probably consider a 4.6L over a LS1. It's much easy and less time consuming.

If you need any help just let me know. Also, give us some details on the jeep along with some pictures.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
Id probably consider a 4.6L over a LS1.
whoa whoa whoa, dude, watch your mouth!

haha, LS1 man here. Dude I'de put an LS1 into anything on the road. Shoot, i'm putting one on my mountain bike next month.

lol
Old 06-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered member

Sabotage10 has disabled reputation

4.10's come stock for 4 bangers. Atleast my last 3 did.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
whoa whoa whoa, dude, watch your mouth!

haha, LS1 man here. Dude I'de put an LS1 into anything on the road. Shoot, i'm putting one on my mountain bike next month.

lol

Now Now N N Now you just wait a second there. We We W W we said we were on a b b b b b b budget here.

Quick Reply: Jeep conversion questions