Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Buying a Diesel......Need some pointers

Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Show-lo car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2
Default Re: Buying a Diesel......Need some pointers

i have an 05 CTD that i bought from TX wholesaler with about 25K miles. I bought it back in stock condition minus some larger tires. The previous owner though had tapped the exh mani and had something on the dash (controller?) installed and removed. That being said, ive had no issue with the truck except for a worn U joint in the driveshaft. about 50K of mileage later and my only issue has been a slipping clutch under full power.

but when you upgrade the HP by 25% and get the tq to 700 to the wheels with bolt ons and a tuner.. you cant expect stock components to last too long

ive driven an edge equipped 250 and maybe im biased but...
dodge > ford

the ford feels too big to me. but maybe thats what your looking for.

search in TX. there are ALOT of diesels from all manuf to choose from.. for less. If your spending that much and planning on keeping the thing a long time like i did, its worth the trip.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

The first question you need to ask yourself is...........Why do you need/want a diesel?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

xp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these parts

long drives, big boat, and overall need a bigger truck that will last and hold its value down the road, im not a fan of getting a new truck all the time but i just got to the point where i need a bigger one, can i tow with an f-150 ya but why when for the same price i can get a diesel and have it last and be worth something with 200k on it? but please by all means throw out your opinions, i do have a want for a diesel if thats what your looking for ive loved and will always love them.......just making sure im putting my money in the right truck.......
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by xp1ik05
long drives, big boat, and overall need a bigger truck that will last and hold its value down the road, im not a fan of getting a new truck all the time but i just got to the point where i need a bigger one, can i tow with an f-150 ya but why when for the same price i can get a diesel and have it last and be worth something with 200k on it? but please by all means throw out your opinions, i do have a want for a diesel if thats what your looking for ive loved and will always love them.......just making sure im putting my money in the right truck.......
Now that you have answered those simple questions it points me in a better direction on what diesel you need. Now I will give my $.02. Hands down I am a die hard ford fan but I will be honest when I say that for your needs you need to stay away from the 6.0! I have had powerstrokes(7.3) and if you like the way powerstrokes look then then hands down get a 7.3! If you pick up a 7.3 you can expect pure reliability out of that international besides the CPS but that is a simple fix(10min and a 10mm and $15 iirc). But if you pick up a 99-03 powerstroke you might as well take out or get the extra money and put it to the side for a NICE BTS trans but they are NOT cheap! IMO they are hands down the best person that can build that trans right and people come from all over the country to get their trans built by them. If you dont want a powerstroke I am also a big fan of the Cummings! You will get the same reliability out of the Cummings as a 7.3(if not more ) but they have the same trans problems and its gonna cost you about the same to get that trans built also. Another thing to keep in mind if you ever want to mod(I'm not talking about exhaust,chip,fuel plate mod,gauges,intake) the Cummings is much cheaper to mod and responds much better to injectors and twins and such.Also a set of injectors are super cheap because unlike the powerstroke they don't run off of oil pressure and unless you want something crazy you for the most part can just change the nozzle tips(super cheap). On a PS for injectors you better pull 2k-3k out of your pocket for the injectors and then you then to be on the safe side should go with big/med oil(twin HPOP'S) and that is $1,500 IIRC so yeah. But if you want super reliability then you need to just stay with the bolt on's anyway . And then last but not least lets talk about the dirty max. The dirtymax(Isuzu) itself is a super motor and with basic bolt on's you can gain super power(6.0 status) and remain for the most part reliable. The trans is stout and can handle a chip and the basic bolt ons. The down side to the duramax is the front end! I can not even start to tell you how many chevy ifs front ends I have seen taco. In a nut shell this ( ) in the front end. But on the flip side they "say" the ifs rides better but I have never felt the difference between the ifs and a solid axle ford,dodge HD truck. Soooo its all in what you want and what you are trying to do with the truck and what you want out of it. So now rape me for this long ass post

Also please stay away from twisted diesel. If you want bolt on shit I guess they are fine. I learned the hard way with them with my trans and gave them 2k deposit upfront(my jackass fault) for a $3,500 trans. While my truck was up there it was broken into while it was there and the tv in the truck was stolen and the truck was severely vandalized( Estimate was 5k from insurance comp). And on top of all of that my truck sat there because parts were back ordered for over 6 months and they just quit working on it and I had to send a roll back up there after 8 months to get it because they could never figure out how to put it back in working order. Oh and I never seen my deposit of 2k back. So that being said do what you want but yeah

Last edited by UrGrlGveMeDkBrn; 05-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

xp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these parts

thanks thats alot, i was really trying to stay newer thats why i didnt bring up the 7.3 but it seems as if that its better to get an 03 ford or a 24v, ive never liked chevys for that front end i never understood why they have to be the odd balls but whatever, see my big thing with the 6.0's is you hear all this bad and not really much good but than again look on the road and you see alot more 6.0's than any other diesel, i dont imagine everyone of them is having issues.....
Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

like the old saying goes...

id rather be cummin than being stroked...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

BenJaminM451 has disabled reputation

Drive a 6.0 a lot and it will be reliable.
And don't just get a diesel cause you think you want one, or want the gas mileage. Unless you drive a whole lot, or haul a lot of shit, they actually add up to be a lot more expensive then a gas truck, even big block trucks.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xp1ik05
thanks thats alot, i was really trying to stay newer thats why i didnt bring up the 7.3 but it seems as if that its better to get an 03 ford or a 24v, ive never liked chevys for that front end i never understood why they have to be the odd balls but whatever, see my big thing with the 6.0's is you hear all this bad and not really much good but than again look on the road and you see alot more 6.0's than any other diesel, i dont imagine everyone of them is having issues.....
Its not if it will break......its when. 7.3 or the 24v. Those would be my only 2 that I would consider in your case. Both trucks will have no prob seeing 500k miles with very minimal problems. Everyone with high mile 6.0's my way(pungo) have broke big shit.Oh and almost every 18 year old kid out here has a 6.0 for whatever reason. I myself will never own one.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

ya im now on the hunt for a 24v or 03 7.3, im trying to stay alittle newer just to hold some more value, has anyone dug into the 6.7l cummins?? from what ive been reading its just a bigger bore 5.9 with the egr and exhaust filter shit but with that deleted it has alot of the same charm of the 5.9......jsut curious
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered member

slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx

From someone who owned a 6.0 for 3 years I will tell you this, taken care of it will last. The tyranny's aren't bad in the 05 and up trucks and really shouldn't give you to many problems, as compared to a dodge. Second, if you don't plan on running anything extreme you can just delete the egr, and maybe do an oil cooler rebuild and be fine. Both of which you can do yourself if you have some mechanical skills, not to mention there are tons DIY's for both jobs on the powerstroke forums. If you have the money and get a 6.0 go ahead and stud it, why not. I had my 6.0 studded, egr delete, custom tunes, and I never had any real issues. Not to mention I beat the piss out of my truck, 6.0's like to be driven hard. Also don't go any buy some bobo banks tuner, or bullydog shit if you buy a 6.0, stick with custom tunes from well known tuners. The trucks get most of their poor reputation from idiots driving them, and not taking care of them. Look at it this way, if you buy a 7.3 or a dodge your going to put a tranny in it, if you buy a 6.0 at worst your going to put studs in it, it's all going to = out and come down to what which truck you prefer. The only reason I went with ford over dodge in the beginning is because the interior of a dodge just plain sucks.

Quick Reply: Buying a Diesel......Need some pointers