Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Anyone know anything about the Baja?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 AM
^a brick wall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ballistics343 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone know anything about the Baja?

Originally Posted by cootees
You obviously have no idea how much abuse trophy trucks go through. To do it right, if you do everything yourself then I would imagine you would be spending a minimum of at least 60k.
Actually the average price we've turned up is usually between $3500-10K for the novice class (we aren't competing in the pro cup!) Honestly I think the entry fees and gas are the biggest offenders..

Besides, its nice to have a junkyard at your disposal
Old 11-26-2007, 07:00 AM
^a brick wall

Copied from wiki, these are the vehicle classifications. Trophy trucks are nice and all--good thing they aren't in our competition

Four-Wheel Vehicles

* SCORE Trophy-Truck: Unlimited Production Trucks.
* Class 1: Unlimited open-wheel single- or two-seaters.
* Class 1/2-1600: open-wheel single- or two-seaters to 1600cc.
* Class 3: Short wheelbase 4X4.
* Class 5: Unlimited Baja Bugs.
* Class 5-1600: 1600cc Baja Bugs.
* Class 7: Open mini trucks.
* Class 7S: Stock mini trucks.
* Class 7SX: Modified mini trucks.
* Class 8: Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks.
* Class 9: Short wheelbase, open-wheel single- or two-seaters.
* Class 10: open-wheel single or two-seaters to 1650cc.
* SCORE Lites: Limited open-wheel single-(1776cc) or two-seaters(1835cc).
* Class 11: Stock VW Sedans.
* Stock Full: Stock full-sized trucks.
* Stock Mini: Stock mini trucks.
* Pro Truck: Limited Production Trucks.
* Baja Challenge: Limited, identical open-wheel Baja touring cars.

Motorcycles

* Class 20: 125cc or smaller two-stroke and 250cc or smaller four-stroke motorcycles.
* Class 21: 126cc to 250cc.
* Class 22: 250cc or more.
* Class 30: Riders over 30 years old.
* Class 40: Riders over 40 years old.
* Class 50: Riders over 50 years old.
* Class 60: Riders over 60 years old.
ATVs

* Class 24: 250cc or less.
* Class 25: 251cc or more.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Good Morning

wheelin22re is an unknown quantity at this point

what kind of vehicle are you looking to start with?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 AM
^a brick wall

Our first thought was an old ford bronco (1982+), if we can get our hands on one. Maybe an old S-10 or Ram or somesuch if we can't find a bronco.

If we could afford it, we'd also like to run a vehicle in class 1 or class 9--a heavily modified car-turned-buggy. I'm less concerned with what make that originally is, since we have enough material on-hand already to completely overhaul it. Probably good that we're flexible on that, because as it happens we have a Ford Festiva (!) readily available. Obviously a roll cage and, if possible, AWD are high on the list of things to do there, among many others.

Our big expense on both would be tires, I think, and shocks (depending on what the truck comes with). We're throwing around engine ideas for both (festiva + V8 = funniest thing ever, nevermind all the powertrain work required...). Depends on what we have handy and how outlandish we want to go. At this stage we're still doing more research than anything, we won't make any big move until we're convinced its plausible and we can finance everything.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:31 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

good luck. you had better do all your research.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Good Morning

Originally Posted by ballistics343
Our first thought was an old ford bronco (1982+), if we can get our hands on one. Maybe an old S-10 or Ram or somesuch if we can't find a bronco.

If we could afford it, we'd also like to run a vehicle in class 1 or class 9--a heavily modified car-turned-buggy. I'm less concerned with what make that originally is, since we have enough material on-hand already to completely overhaul it. Probably good that we're flexible on that, because as it happens we have a Ford Festiva (!) readily available. Obviously a roll cage and, if possible, AWD are high on the list of things to do there, among many others.

Our big expense on both would be tires, I think, and shocks (depending on what the truck comes with). We're throwing around engine ideas for both (festiva + V8 = funniest thing ever, nevermind all the powertrain work required...). Depends on what we have handy and how outlandish we want to go. At this stage we're still doing more research than anything, we won't make any big move until we're convinced its plausible and we can finance everything.

why not a VW or something really small scale. built right these things fly. they're super light, don't take much to build, and baja parts are readily available (hell , they have their own magazine!).

at first i was thinking these guys are retards, but it seems like you've got your heart set. i wish you guys the best of luck.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Mr.Cupcake

Zomic has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by yaybeer87
why not a VW or something really small scale. built right these things fly. they're super light, don't take much to build, and baja parts are readily available (hell , they have their own magazine!).

at first i was thinking these guys are retards, but it seems like you've got your heart set. i wish you guys the best of luck.
+1
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 AM
^a brick wall

Originally Posted by wheelin22re

ummmm, thank you?

regarding the VW, it's definitely a good idea if you have one--but we already have a Festiva and the parts we need to do 90% of the overhaul (including engine, tranny, axels, hopefully AWD, etc). My big concern is reinforcing the thing enough so it's no longer a screaming metal death trap--scratch that, screaming PLASTIC death trap...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Good Morning

so what all do you have lined up so far for it?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
^a brick wall

Step #1 right now is to form a club here at VT for the Baja, mostly to give us official status when we're fund raising--"VT Baja suchandsuch" sounds a lot better than "Guys in a Junkyard" when your asking for donations or having a car wash to raise money! If all goes well, we're going to pick up the paperwork for that tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if the club consists of just us and our circle of friends slash known interested parties for the remainder of this year. I don't think we'd even be official until Fall 2008, but that's ok.

Next we start scrapyard diving over Xmas and summer breaks and see what we can turn up. As I said, we already have a sizable cache of parts and tools/shop space--one of our drivers' father owned an auto shop and kept the equipment.

We need a couple of things more than anything:
-The bloody truck (we don't even need a working one, mostly we just need a frame/chassis)
-Sand/Baja tires
-Oversized fuel tanks? Depends...
-As much info on the Baja as we can turn up
-Monies!

Eventually, we're toying with the idea of trying to run the race on alternate fuels of some kind (biodesil, hydrogen, solar, whatever), but for now I want the experience running the race once without having to complicate things with extra variables. I think it'd be a good project for the club to work on while we're twiddling our thumbs waiting for race day, and it definitely is more respectable than "we made a club cuz we wanna race so there." Anyhow, its currently on the "Gee Wiz" list, but considering thats where the Baja was a few weeks ago, it'll be explored thoroughly.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about the Baja?