Notices
Import - ASIA Vehicles from Japanese, Korean, Chinese(?) manufacturers go here.

1988 Prelude Si 4WS

Old 09-27-2008, 10:00 AM
︻╦╤─

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk
Default 1988 Prelude Si 4WS

To start, this car has some under paint rust in roughly 4 locations, quarter-panels mainly, 3 of which can very likely be repaired with simple sanding to metal, fiberglass, icing and primer/painting. The fourth is negligible, I personally would cut around/out the rust/cancerous area, mig weld (or tig if you have it) a piece of sheet metal, grind down, icing, sand and prime/paint. Those familiar with body-work should know precisely what I mean. In short, cosmetically, it's seen it's better days though it is not a rust through piece of junk.

That said, here is the good and bad of it:

Good:
= Strong running B20A (the JDM version) with roughly 70k on the motor (was swapped)
= Power windows, locks, sunroof, steering and brakes (4 disc brakes) all of which work just fine and the sunroof does not leak
= Interior is in good shape, not perfect though the carpet is intact everywhere with no horrid bare or worn out spots
= Body isn't as bad as it could be (ever wonder why most 1988 Preludes on CL are primered? -- because they patched the rust spots with putty most likely a very cheap method of hiding the problems whereas I am fully disclosing them)
= Straight Chassis - alignment feels real good
= 4 good tires should last for quite sometime and their tread will pass inspection (on steelies)
= The A/C system is good, though should have its refrigerant replaced at anywhere that will recycle/replace refrigerant.
= The 4WS (that's 4 Way Steering - SHARP cornering with this takes a little getting used to the first day of driving it but once you have a feel for how sharp it will turn it feels very nice)
= JVC head unit with CD player, the stock speakers have been replaced
= Even though it's not being used, I ensure every week that it is run (for roughly 5 minutes AFTER it reaches normal operating temperature to ensure the oil is lubricating the parts)
= Charging system is in great working order (the alternator is strong and was replaced roughly 10k miles ago)
= 36 MPG Highway and roughly 27 MPG City (it took 6 gallons to get from Va Beach to Kings Dominion round trip, thats 220 miles, measured by filling tank [14 gallons] before leaving then filling it again upon completion of round trip)
= Clean title in hand (no salvage, theft recovery, etc.)

Bad:
= Body work recommended as aforementioned, albeit it's not a total cosmetic eyesore, the clear coat does have scratches on it from a dog at a friends house that used this as a jungle gym for the 2 months it sat in his back yard
= Long straight crack in front windshield, unsure of Virginia's inspection laws concerning windshields, so unsure if the windshield would pass
= 2 inch diameter hole in drivers side seat from years of getting in and out of it
= Drivers side door is doing the typical "sagging" that happens on the 3rd generation Preludes (1988-1991), I will hopefully that this fixed as it's a simple fix of simply unscrewing the hinge, lifting up the door and then re tightening the hinge -- but that depends on how much time I get available to me, I'm loaded with projects right now as it is
= Trunk drivers side hinge could use adjustment as well, again I may have this done depending upon time restraints of lack thereof
= Battery is bad due to the constant charging/discharging caused by only running it once a week (a bad cell) though you're welcome to have it to cover any core charges - charging system is GOOD though and once it's jump started the charging system keeps the car running strong (if a charging system is good in a car, it should sustain the operation of the car regardless if it has a battery attached or not -- just a FYI to those that aren't as mechanically inclined)

All in all, it's a Honda, it's a great gas mileage reliable vehicle with a strong engine, drivetrain and has the sought after 4WS (4 wheel steering) - which was the first successful mechanical four wheel steering in a production car. I currently have a 1991 Prelude that I wanted to use the engine of out this car to build up (ie. "soup up") and was going to take the 4WS out of this car (that I'm selling here) and put it in my 1991 Prelude, but all that became unnecessary when I found another 1988 Prelude Si with 4WS (that one doesnt run so I wont be selling it sorry). More importantly however, my mother-in-law is moving in with my wife, son and I, she will need somewhere to park her car so this one needs to go and go sooner than later as she'll be here in just 14 days. I'm fairly firm on the price, as the engine from it will pull $400 easily (considering it's the JDM version of the 3rd generation Prelude B20 series) and the 4WS will pull between $350 and $400. That's not counting the other odds and ends that could be parted from this. I'd much rather make an attempt to sell this to an enthusiast of the 3rd generation Prelude's or any Honda enthusiast and better yet to someone in these tough times an opportunity to have a reliable gas -saving- (vice guzzling) Honda vehicle.

Car will be sold as-is, no warranty is expressed or implied on the sale of this car. I've divulged information regarding it, which is truth to my knowledge. If you keep oil changes on it, change the filters when they should and belts, etc. (basically if you do the preventive maintenance on it as you should with any car) you should have a long lasting car. If you beat the living crap out of it and do not change fluids, etc. then shame on you.

$OLD

Last edited by DeFunk; 10-04-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Sold
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 AM

94civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1988 Prelude Si 4WS

pmd
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 AM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk
Default Re: 1988 Prelude Si 4WS