Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Top Speed questions

Old 01-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Re: Top Speed questions

Originally Posted by zx12guy
My brother's 01 zx6r indicated 170mph but gps said 150mph. Just to give you an idea as bikes vary. I personally don't like sitting at redline for extended periods of time. I get that feeling that somethin's gonna blow. That's why I didnt go faster than 184mph.
Thats how i felt about it. At the same time, i didnt want to sit there and stare at my RPMs either because at those speeds you come up on shit WAY too fast. But technically, if all is well maintained with the bike, you should be able to hold it at redline for a good 8-10 seconds until you are as absolutely as aerodynamic as you can get and the speedometer stops climbing, right? Just being theoretical here.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr.6
Thats how i felt about it. At the same time, i didnt want to sit there and stare at my RPMs either because at those speeds you come up on shit WAY too fast. But technically, if all is well maintained with the bike, you should be able to hold it at redline for a good 8-10 seconds until you are as absolutely as aerodynamic as you can get and the speedometer stops climbing, right? Just being theoretical here.
Well personally it could be brand new off the showroom floor and I would still be paranoid of throwin a rod. But then thats just me. Also is the bike pulling to redline? If not it may not have enough power to get there and slightly shorter gearing may achieve you a higher topspeed.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Well personally it could be brand new off the showroom floor and I would still be paranoid of throwin a rod. But then thats just me. Also is the bike pulling to redline? If not it may not have enough power to get there and slightly shorter gearing may achieve you a higher topspeed.
I feel you. I pull all the way to redline (atleast im pretty sure i do). You see, the thing is, i get sooooo tucked that actually look through windscreen when try going top end, so i dont ever look at the RPM cause im always looking at the speedo and then immediately sitting up to let the wind slow me down (talk about feeling like being ripped off, literally ) Im geared at 16/50 so i already know lose top end. BTW, How much do GPS's cost?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point

I paid 100bucks for the bas model Garmin. Also unless you're touching rev limiter you haven't lost any topend and the shorter gearing is actually helping you.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

Well personally it could be brand new off the showroom floor and I would still be paranoid of throwin a rod.
get a suzuki and all your fears will melt away

on the dyno my 1000 would do exactly 180 on the limiter in 6th, i've held it flat out so my fastest would be 180

some vibration is normal from all the wind and stuff, but from the bike itself you shouldn't really be getting any... but if its not a brand new bike then i'd probably be less worried
Old 01-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Ive been told that it usually get pretty shakey at high speeds. But i didnt experience it, and i dont have any damper either. I was just under the impression that it WILL happen and to just loosen my grip on the bars, but since it didnt happen its not much to worry about.

Oh well, im sellin my bike anyhow, i guess i shouldnt be gettin all excited about gps's and stuff. I do want to step up to a liter bike though.......
Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

good info
Old 01-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

a damper wouldn't have much effect at really high speeds like that, it might help a little, but what they are more for is hard acceleration when the front wheel is just barely in contact with the ground
Old 01-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Murdered Out

Up_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to all

i got 155mph and she rode like a caddy
Old 01-05-2005, 06:16 AM
Your Kneegrow

Chino has disabled reputation

mine's only 118 on the odometer.... oh well, fast enough for me. :/

Quick Reply: Top Speed questions