Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Question for you guys....

Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 AM
$Level$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich
Default Question for you guys....

I would like to take some basic track courses, etc. Any opinions on classes or clubs that have specials with track days? What's the best deal going on around Hampton Roads? I have found little info and would like to know what you guys have used around here. Thanks in advance

Rich
Old 09-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question for you guys....

Theres really nothing 757 specific since the tracks you'd be riding are on WV and the NC border. I'd recommend VIR over Summit Point, if you've never ridden you'll think summit is amazing, any track will be at first, and its not a horrible track, but VIR is closer and much much better.

I would highly recommend you join Sport Bike Track Time(www.sportbiketracktime.com), membership is only $25 where as most groups are 75-125$. They have a beginner group that includes a free track school, and I'd say this is the best way to get your feet wet on the track. Plus their track days are only 150$, the cheapest of anyone really and they only allow a certain number of people to book one day, where as lots of other groups will take every last dollar they can get and you end up with 300 guys on the same track. They have an intermediate and then a racer's group so theres room to keep riding with them as you get faster. Once you do a couple track days I would then take Aaron's Corner Speed school(www.cornerspeed.net) which is a racing school and the official riding club of VIR, but great even if you don't intend on racing after, and after you take his class you can do their track days.

i'm not sure when you would like to start, but STT is done at VIR for this season, cornerspeed is still doing a couple events, but ideally i'd go out with STT first, they are a slower paced smaller group... you can also do NESBA(www.nesba.com), they will let you ride with them one time with out being a member and they have a couple days left this year, but its 75$ to be a member after, I just didn't care for them as much as STT

Last edited by Del La Sol 1320; 09-28-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 AM
$Level$

I sincerely appreciate that information. I'll check it out.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 AM
On One Wheel

sprayedcivic has disabled reputation

some one said dave from redline teach's a school at vir contact him @988-5000
Old 09-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

You really don't need to join any groups per say. It would depend on how much riding experience you already have IMHO. If you're a decent rider already than a beginner cornering school is gonna be relatively worthless.

You can do track days on a regular basis and that will greatly improve your riding through attrition.................

TPM is one of the best around, they're doing a track day at CMP in a month or so..............I'll be there!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
$Level$

Thanks.......what is TPM?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't say its worthless at all... I'm a pretty fast street rider and read a ton, so I was already decent and had lots of knowledge but I still found the class informative and very worthwhile, besides being faster than everyone is fun for a change. But I'm the type to think it better to be a big fish in a small pond and ride a little under your ability, than to end up riding over your head in a group that is too fast. Plus doing a beginner school will do alot to boost your confidence and you'll be able to relax and work on your skills, if you just jump in with a fast group that all know what they are doing your just going to be hanging on to them for dear life trying not to crash, and you really won't learn much that way and it probably won't be as enjoyable. Besides if your too fast for the beginner group you'll just get bumped up to intermediate the next session. Plus even if your faster through the curves than everyone because you've been riding on the street for 20 years, you still need to learn track ediquite(sp?), they cover this briefly in the rider meeting but thats another important part of a beginner school is learning the flags, and how to act when being passed or passing, how to enter/exit the pits and stuff like that.

TPM stands for Team Pro Motion. I've never done a day with them, so I can't say from personal experience but the general consensus from online discussion boards is they way overbook their track days and have too many people out on the track, but I have plenty of friends that ride with them and love it. Their membership fee is more expensive than most, but their track days are cheaper so it works out if you do more than two days.

Last edited by Del La Sol 1320; 09-28-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
if you just jump in with a fast group that all know what they are doing your just going to be hanging on to them for dear life trying not to crash, and you really won't learn much that way and it probably won't be as enjoyable. Besides if your too fast for the beginner group you'll just get bumped up to intermediate the next session. Plus even if your faster through the curves than everyone because you've been riding on the street for 20 years, you still need to learn track ediquite(sp?), they cover this briefly in the rider meeting but thats another important part of a beginner school is learning the flags, and how to act when being passed or passing, how to enter/exit the pits and stuff like that.
You just backed over your own words.......................

I personally thin it's foolish to be the best in your group; what's the point? You'll never get better. Nothing to force you to get better.

If you already know how to ride than the beginner group of any track will be fine for you. The classes aren't gonna be very helpful.

My first track was with TPM last fall at CMP. They also had a "beginner" class in with the beginner groups. The class was moving so damn slow I couldn't believe it!!!! It was my first track day ever and I was lapping them like they were standing still!!!! So what good would that have done me?

They go over track signals in the morning anyway. And you can read up on that stuff beforehand.

Those classes are for "new" riders who would like to build confidence and learn how to corner in a controlled environment. That's it.

I'm not saying that they're bad, just not for everyone. I would hate to see someone pay for a school and feel like they got jipped afterwards..............
Old 09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

sounds like TPM puts on a pretty shitty school, i'd look for a new group to do trakc days with... thats why i said do STT, the school is free with track days and the guys are knowledgable, they often have pro riders instructing, and you don't have to attend it, its voluntary, if you sit through one session and say "these AMA pro racers instructing the class don't know what they are talking about, i've been riding on the street for 4 years i'm too good for this" then you don't have to go back to class, you can go and tell them you'd like to be bumped up and ride in intermediate...

think about it, doing it my way what is there to lose? 20 minutes of track time spent going a little slower than you would have liked to of if it turns out your faster than you thought? big deal, you've got 6 sessions left to go out and break track records... on the flip side i think it would be a far worse thing to go out your first time and end up riding over your head and crashing a 10,000$ motorcycle and ending up in a wheel chair for 6 months because you couldn't humble yourself to sit through a good(keyword) intro track riding school... your right that a good way to learn is to follow someone faster than you, but not necessarily your first time ever on a track, thats what instructors are for, you need the basics first

but seriously where exactly did i back over my own words i missed that part the 3 times i went back and read what i wrote

Last edited by Del La Sol 1320; 09-28-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

With the don't ride above your level....and then the they'll bump you up anyway remark.

This all I'm saying................it's fall; track days are gonna do nothing but cheaper and cheaper till they end. The only way you will wreck is if some ass-hat cuts you off (happened to me; but the ass-hat was a friend, I didn't wreck, and he got a good talking to after being removed form the track), or you ride past your own abilities and wreck.

So don't ride past your own abilities. If you do a 100 dollar track day and decide you still want the class, then take it. But again; I stress that I'm talking about "experienced" riders. And no, riding on the parkway this summer doesn't constitute experience.

If you're new then take the class. I'm not saying it's a bad idea; unless you're already past that level.

And you missed the point of my lapping the beginner class. It's the same with all the schools. You follow the leader for the proper line and learn entry and exits. Plain and simple. You learn how to take a corner. Then they let you go on your own. That's it.

Quick Reply: Question for you guys....