Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

painting a helmet

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baggdymtukn20z has disabled reputation
Default painting a helmet

I am thinking about painting an extra helmet I have to match my bike or maybe just flat black the helmet. Any tips on sanding it and painting. Its not an insanely expensive helmet. Its a Vega so its not like Im ruining a shoei or shark or something. I hope to not ruin it, but a green and black helmet just doesnt look good with my smokin joes cbr. what do you think I should do?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
やくざに成りたい

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atmdc has disabled reputation
Default Re: painting a helmet

I dont know what kind of paint your using so heres a general explanation

if there are no decals on it..
-I would sand all the clear off so that its all dull
-Clean it real good with alcohol and a rag (or small amount of dish soap and water)
-let it dry, then spray on your primer in about 3 coats, fist a mist, second a mist, and third a decent coat but not so heavy it runs.
-Let that sit for at least a day or so (maybe in the oven since its dust free, dont turn it on!)
-now spray your color with about 4-5 coats. 2 mist coats, 1 medium coat, and 1 heavy coat so that it has a glass like appearance and not misty but no runs either.
-sit that in the oven for a day or so
-if the finish is not smooth now you can wet sand it with 1000 grit or so until its smooth and then recoat, but its up to you
-now spray the clear on or matte or whatever you want the same as the color was done.
-let it sit for like a week and then wet sand gradually up to 1500 or 2000, and polish with compounds and wax.
-wear it and ride!

(This is how I paint with duplicolor can paints for models and other plastic parts, I have never painted a helmet but im sure this should be quite similar, anyone feel free to correct me)