Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

New To This World

Old 07-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasysnowball has disabled reputation
Default New To This World

Ok right of the bat, i want to inform you i have little to no experience. I say little because I have ridden a bike in first gear once twice.

I would also like to say hello!

Now i have been wanting to ride for a really long time, and my parents havnt been too suportive (seeing all the wreckless people where i live, i dont blame them). Now that i am older they are a little iffy on me getting a bike, but okay with it.

I am going to be taking a class that allows me to get hands on trianing 1on1 with an instructor, they provide me with a bike and gear for 8 hours (on the campus im taking the class at), and will provide me with a slip to get a license after the class if i do well. The class is for people with little to no experience (i will also be taking a defensive driving course after i get a bike).

If all goes well, i would like to purchase my first bike shortly afterwards. I have been told it is wise to start riding on dirt before street, i have also been told it really doesnt matter... i know it matters, i also know that dirt and street are totally different surfaces. I would like honest opinions on this matter please.

Now in all honesty after being told to start on dirt, i have been looking at dirtbikes. I was thinking about getting one that is already street legal, or getting one and making it street legal. So i guess i will ask my questions now

1. What is your opinion on learning sufaces dirt/street?

2. Would a street legal dirtbike be a decent first bike (not sure of the official name).

3. What would a good start bike for riding on both dirt and street (i plan on getting a used one, my make expense will most likely be around $2,500)?

4. What would be a good engine size (im looking to go on city streets, interstate, and riding on backroads for fun)?

i cant really think of any other answers just yet... I really hope im not being to general. Like i said before i have little to no experience with riding, i also know almost nothing about motorcycles.

i would really appreciate any help you can give . i have already read the Stickies on Bike buying, and gear. I bike recomendations now .

Thanks for atleast reading the thread,

Michael
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

SeanJohn has disabled reputation
Default Re: New To This World

1. What is your opinion on learning surfaces dirt/street?
learn in a parking lot and take it slow. then work your way up.

2. Would a street legal dirt bike be a decent first bike (not sure of the official name).
look into a Dual Sport bike, most of the Japanese companies have them.

3. What would a good start bike for riding on both dirt and street (i plan on getting a used one, my make expense will most likely be around $2,500)?
if your gonna get a street bike pick up a used 250 and learn on that for a season or two.

4. What would be a good engine size (im looking to go on city streets, interstate, and riding on backroads for fun)?
250, 500, maybe a 600, really there no need to go any higher. esp. if your a newbie.

GO TAKE AN MSF COURSE.
Spend some cash on nice gear.
And DON'T OUT RIDE YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL!!l

Last edited by SeanJohn; 07-11-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:42 AM
Old N Slow :D

cobra671 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Damn SJ! You working the graveyard shift?

Great advice bro!

I concur.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:56 AM
kosher jew

bseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these parts

hey hows it going? im in the same boat you are. no experience never ridden. ive been doing my researc on good beginner bikes and have settled on one and i should be getting it here in the next month or so. its a suzuki gsx 650f. take a look at it. you might find you like it. its a multi purpose bike.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

I would stay away from the dual sport (street legal dirt bikes) bikes as your first bike. They tend to have very high seat heights which are not confidence builders which is not what you want when you start out. Also you don't want to buy a new bike because you are going to end up dropping it. Everybody does. I started out on a '98 Suzuki GS500E. It was a great little bike. Also look at the Ninja 500 and 250.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Full Access Member

Binarypotato has disabled reputation

I started out and still have my '87 Honda XL250R which is a Dual Sport. I agree somewhat with JDM74, it has a taller seat, but I haven't had any problems learning on it, riding street or dirt, at all.

I would say don't get anything bigger than a 600 for your first bike, my 250 will do 70, so it's enough to get you on the interstate and any city road in this area.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

im gettign alot of mixed answers on the dual sport. I want people to know that i want to get an offroad bike aswell. Getting a dual sport would save me a POOPLOAD of money!

JDM74: Wouldnt a lack of confidence be good for a new rider? Mostly to keep him from being an idiot on the road?

Thanks alot for the answers guys!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Full Access Member

Binarypotato has disabled reputation

I think when he says Confidence he means Comfortable riding more so.

I say if you want something for the street and road get an older dual sport, I use mine off road and on road, and I love it, don't have any issues with either.

Just do lots of research, I did before I got my bike and it suits me great!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

drz400s or dr350 or xr650l or dr650. drz400 is my choice though. Can just make it on the freeway, is great around town and is still is small/light enough for trails and dirt roads. . $3-4k for a super nice used one. The rest are either to heavy off road or the 250's would suck on the freeway

the best is the ktm's but they're $ and the 525exc and 450exc are basically plated dirt bikes. The normal dual sports from them are pretty awesome as well but harder to find

the converted mx bikes are high maintenance and a lot more expensive to keep up. You can do it but it cost a lot of $ to ride one llike a street bike

dual sports are stupid easy to learn how to ride on. Some of the best bikes to learn on. The seat height sometimes sucks but unless you're 5'6" they're not bad
Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

nah, im currently 6'2" :P Unfortunatly im a 19 year old with a limited budget. My max will probably be around $2,500 maybe more. considering i want decent practice i might get a loan, and not insure the bike to ensure i can afford the loan payments.

Quick Reply: New To This World