Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

New VA Laws

Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default New VA Laws

Traffic lights and two-wheelers: The new law allows people on motorcycles, mopeds and bicycles to proceed through red lights at intersections after coming to a complete stop and waiting 120 seconds or two cycles of the traffic light, whichever is shorter.

It is designed to help those who get stranded at a red light because only cars and trucks are heavy enough to trip the sensor that changes the light.
I bet this will only turn out for the worst....
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'
Default Re: New VA Laws

That isn't new at all...I've been doing that legally for years.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by dyoungin'
That isn't new at all...I've been doing that legally for years.
Not in the state of VA... it's been illegal since just now according to this.

More new/changed laws can be found here:

http://dls.virginia.gov/PUBS/IDC/IDC11.pdf
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

veddy nice, I get stuck at a like at work almost daily. Called VDOT half a dozen times already to come fix the strip (most of the time bikes can get the strips to trip) and they never came.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

I know that law has been in place for a while, because I was informed by a LEO one night when he saw me waiting endlessly at a stoplight. That was like 6 years ago.

Maybe the addition of the 120 seconds or something is the 'new' part. Good website either way though.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
I bet this will only turn out for the worst....
I'm going to agree. I know why the law was passed and the reasoning behind it but it's going to cause some accidents. It does not give the motorcycle rider the right of way, only the option to go though a redlight when the bike won't set the light to change.

I know that law has been in place for a while, because I was informed by a LEO one night when he saw me waiting endlessly at a stoplight. That was like 6 years ago.

Maybe the addition of the 120 seconds or something is the 'new' part. Good website either way though.
You are incorrect, this law was just passed in the most recent session and goes into effect July1, 2011.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 06-30-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:06 PM
slingshot engage.

That baffles me. An on-duty VA State Trooper told me to 'treat it like a stop sign' if it doesn't change after waiting. And this was 5-6 years ago. Ever since I have been doing this- especially to the stoplight near where I live, it never changed on my way to work.

Any idea why a VA ST would lie to me about it then watch me do it, and not pull me over? lol
Old 06-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness

That baffles me. An on-duty VA State Trooper told me to 'treat it like a stop sign' if it doesn't change after waiting. And this was 5-6 years ago. Ever since I have been doing this- especially to the stoplight near where I live, it never changed on my way to work.

Any idea why a VA ST would lie to me about it then watch me do it, and not pull me over? lol
Contrary to popular belief leo's dont know all the laws and from my experience they seem to guess alot.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

MOstly because he was probably a fellow biker and felt your pain LOL.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Anyone who dies doing this legally is stupid and probably would have died if there was no red light there.

IB4IDie@aLightRunningItDueToNewLaws

(I hope if I do die doing this, someone links this post to a local news station.)

Quick Reply: New VA Laws