VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   New VA Laws (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/new-va-laws-402910/)

Hybrid AWD 06-30-2011 09:50 AM

New VA Laws

Traffic lights and two-wheelers: The new law allows people on motorcycles, mopeds and bicycles to proceed through red lights at intersections after coming to a complete stop and waiting 120 seconds or two cycles of the traffic light, whichever is shorter.

It is designed to help those who get stranded at a red light because only cars and trucks are heavy enough to trip the sensor that changes the light.
I bet this will only turn out for the worst....

dyoungin' 06-30-2011 09:51 AM

Re: New VA Laws

That isn't new at all...I've been doing that legally for years.

Hybrid AWD 06-30-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by dyoungin' (Post 7200260)
That isn't new at all...I've been doing that legally for years.

Not in the state of VA... it's been illegal since just now according to this.

More new/changed laws can be found here:

http://dls.virginia.gov/PUBS/IDC/IDC11.pdf

Halfrican 06-30-2011 09:57 AM

veddy nice, I get stuck at a like at work almost daily. Called VDOT half a dozen times already to come fix the strip (most of the time bikes can get the strips to trip) and they never came.

dyoungin' 06-30-2011 09:59 AM

I know that law has been in place for a while, because I was informed by a LEO one night when he saw me waiting endlessly at a stoplight. That was like 6 years ago.

Maybe the addition of the 120 seconds or something is the 'new' part. Good website either way though.

SMOKEYBEAR 06-30-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD (Post 7200257)
I bet this will only turn out for the worst....

I'm going to agree. I know why the law was passed and the reasoning behind it but it's going to cause some accidents. It does not give the motorcycle rider the right of way, only the option to go though a redlight when the bike won't set the light to change.

Originally Posted by dyoungin' (Post 7200274)
I know that law has been in place for a while, because I was informed by a LEO one night when he saw me waiting endlessly at a stoplight. That was like 6 years ago.

Maybe the addition of the 120 seconds or something is the 'new' part. Good website either way though.

You are incorrect, this law was just passed in the most recent session and goes into effect July1, 2011.

dyoungin' 06-30-2011 04:06 PM

That baffles me. An on-duty VA State Trooper told me to 'treat it like a stop sign' if it doesn't change after waiting. And this was 5-6 years ago. Ever since I have been doing this- especially to the stoplight near where I live, it never changed on my way to work.

Any idea why a VA ST would lie to me about it then watch me do it, and not pull me over? lol

crxmadness 06-30-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dyoungin' (Post 7200949)
That baffles me. An on-duty VA State Trooper told me to 'treat it like a stop sign' if it doesn't change after waiting. And this was 5-6 years ago. Ever since I have been doing this- especially to the stoplight near where I live, it never changed on my way to work.

Any idea why a VA ST would lie to me about it then watch me do it, and not pull me over? lol

Contrary to popular belief leo's dont know all the laws and from my experience they seem to guess alot.

burnoutboy 06-30-2011 04:24 PM

MOstly because he was probably a fellow biker and felt your pain LOL.

MA-HALF-E 06-30-2011 06:35 PM

Anyone who dies doing this legally is stupid and probably would have died if there was no red light there.

IB4IDie@aLightRunningItDueToNewLaws

(I hope if I do die doing this, someone links this post to a local news station.)