Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

New to bikes

Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoswho has disabled reputation
Default New to bikes

Hi,
This probably isnt the first time has asked thie on this forum, but i was curious about the local dealers in the 757 area. I am most likely buying my frist bike before i head off to college in the fall, and am just looking at some of the kawasaki bikes, and was wondering were would be a great deal, since money will be kinda tight while im in college (ODU).

Im interested in kawasaki's Ninja 500, or ZX 600, or something between those price ranges, but from what i've heard from one of my ex-coworkers the local dealers are shady, and he didnt really give me a reason why. can anyone give me a lil bit of incite? On anything really, im learning still
Old 05-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Your Kneegrow

Chino has disabled reputation
Default Re: New to bikes

craigslist...you're better off buying a used bike privately specially if its your first bike. new bikes depreciate as soon as you sit on them.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo

Here's a reply from zx636skiv to a similar post that can be found here:
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/gettin-back-2-wheels-where-buy-183606/

Originally Posted by zx636skiv
First of all, welcome back to the sport!!

Now, my opinion on the local stealerships...many people who know me, know I am very opinionated of the local shops. Sorry in advance, this will probably be long...I suggest you go to the bathroom first!

Since you are looking for new, that narrows it down.

Honda of Norfolk...always had good dealings with them, they were helpful and knowledgable. That actually acted like they gave a shit. Unfortunatly, I have only bought parts from them, so I have no first hand info on buying, but everyone I know of who has dealt with them liked them.

D&D...I've known Brian for about 20 years. One of the best in the business. Unfortunatly, the only thing he sells new are Triumphs, so if you want a Triumph, buy it from him.

Now the sad news...every other shop will screw you until you bleed. Some are worse than others though.

Cycle World...I bought my first new bike from them back in 1993. Good deal out the door, with good amount of gear to go with it. The down side of this deal is I got a high interest rate (probably my fault anyway), and I had problems with them servicing some stuff on the bike. Tranny went at 2500 miles and they wanted to charge me...under warrenty. I have heard of many problems over the years, but I haven't dealt with them much in the last 10 years or so. Been in to look at bikes a few times, they seem to treat me like I don't know anything...

Scumrise...Bought my 2nd new bike from them, '03 6R. They cut me a deal and wanted to sell it to me for $8200 while MSRP was $7900!! I had to walk away 4 times before they agreed to sell it to me at MSRP!! Unfortunatly, I wanted a red one. I already new they were slated to have the first in the area, so I had to wait...and wait...and wait...I never got any call when it came in...happened to come by and saw it in the showroom...they were trying to sell it to another guy!!! Had a recall on the exhaust of this bike, which was on backorder. They held my bike for 2 1/2 months before I finally went and got the bike and fixxed the problem myself. Most dealerships were installing cheap aftermarket exhaust pipes to make the customer happy...Scumrise told me sorry...can't do it. I actually get between 20-25% discount on parts at this place, but won't buy as much as a sticker anymore because of how the sales and service teams treated me. Fuggem hard...no lube.

Honda of Virginia Beach...I wouldn't piss on thier building if it was on fire. I have been in there 3 times since I have been in the area. Rode in 2X on a Kaw and once in a mustang. All three times I have gotten nothing but attitude and grief....fuggem....

Casey...never bought anything from them, but have been to the shop a couple times to look. I am have mixxed feelings on the shop. I have had a few guys who just didn't seem like they knew much about bikes who were trying to sell one to me. Plus they wouldn't let me sit on the bikes to see how they felt. I was told that when I bought a bike, I would have plenty of time to sit on it. I have heard a lot of problems from others on this dealership.

Southside and Bayside HD...what can I say, they are Harley dealerships. They sell Buells because they have to, not because they want to. Some of them probably do know what they are selling by now, but the last time I went in there to look at the Buells (X1 Lightning, maybe late 90's) they acted like they didn't want to sell them because they weren't cruisers. I don't know much about the HD dealerships around here because I don't deal with them.

Redline...if you want Aprilia or Ducati, they are the only ones in the area to get them at. Personally, I think there parts are highly overpriced, as is there service. My last dealings were the plugs I was going to buy for my '00 6R. They wanted $12 per plug...bought them from Cycle Gear for $6 per...same plugs.

My suggestion is to check out the one in NC...but also check on line. My problem is I fell in love with a bike and had to have it at all costs...I found out later that I could have saved around $1200-$1500 buying it online...even with shipping!! Look on E-Bay...shops sell new bikes all the time for a low price...some are close enough you can pick them up. Most will offer shipping. Can't hurt to check it out. I had one friend drove to GA to pick up his gixxer because even with the gas he had to put in his truck, it was still cheaper than buying one local.

And good luck!!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 PM
d00d

duder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Whoswho
Hi,
This probably isnt the first time has asked thie on this forum, but i was curious about the local dealers in the 757 area. I am most likely buying my frist bike before i head off to college in the fall, and am just looking at some of the kawasaki bikes, and was wondering were would be a great deal, since money will be kinda tight while im in college (ODU).

Im interested in kawasaki's Ninja 500, or ZX 600, or something between those price ranges, but from what i've heard from one of my ex-coworkers the local dealers are shady, and he didnt really give me a reason why. can anyone give me a lil bit of incite? On anything really, im learning still
I've found both of my bikes on craigslist and sold my first one on there as well.
If money is tight, then buying new is not the way to go.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Whoswho has disabled reputation

yeah i was looking on cragislist last night, and it seems like the best option for me, since im just starting out. But the info on the dealership was well received