Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

a new bike

Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S&M Customs has disabled reputation
Default a new bike

I am getting my first bike and I really need some input. I want an Italian bike. I just found someone selling a 1999 Ducati 749. With 4000 miles on it.$4500 Is that a good price? I have heard about the tune-ups that they need. But is it every 3000 mile they have to get adjusted? What dose that normally run? I am going to be riding the bike everyday from Richmond to Manassas. So I am interested in how comfort is going to be. Another thing is that the rear swing arm is it true if I get an extended one it would soften the ride? Where would I get one?

Well thanks for the help?
Scott

Last edited by S&M Customs; 08-03-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

ef9zc has disabled reputation
Default Re: a new bike

edit and put the price of the bike in man. I dont really know nothing about ducs except that some of the guys that ride them are like guys that drive ferraris and are real fags
Old 08-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

S&M Customs has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ef9zc
edit and put the price of the bike in man. I dont really know nothing about ducs except that some of the guys that ride them are like guys that drive ferraris and are real fags

well i drive vws and im not a fag? what dose that mean?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by ef9zc
WTF?

OP: If you're looking for comfort you definitely need to be looking elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:17 PM
turbo on 2 wheels

Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern

i had a 99 ducati 748s and loved it, 4500 is a really good price with that many miles! i sold mine for 6k and it had 17.5k on it, but then again the motor only had 7k cuz the other one snapped a timing belt because the services were not kept up with!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

soniccbr has disabled reputation

A Ducati for a first bike- expensive and foolish.
A Ducati for a commuter bike- expensive and massacistic.

If you have to have it, more power to ya. If you wanna flip it, by all means. But I suggest finding something more mundane for a commuter bike, unless your loaded.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Night Train

dwn4whadever has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by soniccbr

If you have to have it, more power to ya. If you wanna flip it, by all means. But I suggest finding something more mundane for a commuter bike, unless your loaded.
Good points. It still amazes me oh why someone would want to have such expensive and powerful bike as a first bike. Just asking i know you stated this is your first bike, but do you have any riding experience. I would strongly suggest taking your MSF if you already havent. And i think due to the bike being itialian, maintence is going to be steep, Fairings for as a first.

Do what makes you happy. Dont wanna sink your ship i just wanna give you some knowledge to chew on.

Lada.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:08 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by soniccbr

as much as i don't like to, i'd have to agree with him (lol, sorry ray) ducs are NOT comfortable, maintenance is EXPENSIVE, and NEVER put an extended arm on one, or you will get laughed at every time you get on it, it's just not that kind of bike. not to mention, i don't know anyone that will stretch a single sided swingarm.

seriously, if it's your first bike, and you want to commute on it, as much of a good deal as that is, i'd go with something a lil more civil than a 748.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

First of all they didnt make a 749 in 1999... second of all you cannot stretch a sigle sided swing arm but you can purchase the Magnesium swing arm that extends the arm about 1" for the low price of $4500 on sale.... Third they are beautiful bikes and sought after but they are indeed maintenance nightmares...... I love mine and would never give up my 1026s...
Old 08-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by V8 Hunter
First of all they didnt make a 749 in 1999... second of all you cannot stretch a sigle sided swing arm but you can purchase the Magnesium swing arm that extends the arm about 1" for the low price of $4500 on sale.... Third they are beautiful bikes and sought after but they are indeed maintenance nightmares...... I love mine and would never give up my 1026s...
They did make a 748 though, right?

Quick Reply: a new bike