Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Maintenance for making a long haul - *In need of a Mechanic*

Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Doing work mofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down
Default Maintenance for making a long haul - *In need of a Mechanic*

So as a few of you may have seen, I purchased a 1991 Honda VFR750 with 23,000 miles. I had asked the owner about the bikes maintenance history, which his response consisted of " I only changed the oil, owning the bike for less than a year". So I am planning on taking this bike for a few hour trip coming in the warmer season. I want to make sure everything has been serviced on the bike by someone is well qualified.

I called around to a few motorcycle service shops, and talking to Honda cycles - they seemed to be the most comforting but expensive. So I figured I would come to VaDriven to see if any well known bike mechanics were interested in some side work? In these times, a lil extra cash flow never hurt anyone. Please dont take this as I am trying to cut corners on my bike maintenance, but Dealership prices are a lil over my budget.

When I talked to the people at Honda, they asked if the valves have been adjusted at 16k miles? Which I have no idea if they were or weren't? I really dont know the down side of ignoring this either.

But here is a list of the few things I would like to get serviced on the bike:
1) All fluids to get changed.
2) Chain cleaned and lubed.
3) A professional scan of the bike to see if anything else would need to be serviced. ( Yes, when I bought the bike, I checked the visual things and test rode it. Seems fine to me, but I am no pro when it comes to Cycles.)
4) Air filter replacement, spark plug replacement.- If needed.
5) The front brake pads are getting low and need to be replaced. The rears still have plenty of life.
6) Valve adjustment if needed.
7) Make sure all is well because it needs an inspection sticker.
8) At what point do the carbs need to be cleaned? Or serviced? Bike runs good to me, but I have went no more than 5-10 miles riding time.

Thats all that I can think of for now. If I am missing something by all means please chime in.

If your qualified to preform the requested work, pm me. Please have references. If you dont have a place to work on the bike. You can come in my garage (on a concrete floor) and do the work, I have plenty of tools, but I would suggest to bring your own. Because I worked on cars and not bikes.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Maintenance for making a long haul - *In need of a Mechanic*

lol, at the fact that a few hour trip is a "long haul". Sorry, couldn't resist.

If you were closer I'd say bring it by and I'd take care of ya, but coming from richmond for a tune up is a bit much.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Doing work mofo

Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down

6 hours is a long haul to me....... And a few hours ....
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

lol, thinking bout doin A 30 day haul myself

All god though. I know a couple good mechanics up your way if you'd like me to make some calls for ya.

And those VFR's, besides a random upper oiling problem from time to time (usually on the older, meaning pre SSWA), are freakin bulletproof. 23k is barely broken in. you'll be fine, no doubt.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Ƴᴧᴍᴧӈᴧ

Dark-SRT4 has disabled reputation

Those V4's can take quite the beating but if you wanted to 'spruce' it up a little here's what I would do.

New fluids (oil/coolant/brake)
New plugs
Sync throttlebodies/carbs
If the brake lines are the original rubber lines I'd replace them with ss braided lines (rubber lines have a shelf life)
New front pads
Inspect the chain and sprockets (find the service manual for the bike, it should explain how to measure the chain to see if it has stretched out of spec)
Replace the air filter

That should be enough to put a dent in the pocket but get it back to running healthy.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Doing work mofo

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
lol, thinking bout doin A 30 day haul myself

All god though. I know a couple good mechanics up your way if you'd like me to make some calls for ya.

And those VFR's, besides a random upper oiling problem from time to time (usually on the older, meaning pre SSWA), are freakin bulletproof. 23k is barely broken in. you'll be fine, no doubt.
Holy shit, 30 days? You must get some serious vacation time.

Sure, if you know some one that would be of an assistance, throw a dog a bone

I am glad to hear that the VFR's are very reliable, I just want to maintain the bike. Bringing it back up to date with maintenance.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Doing work mofo

Originally Posted by Dark-SRT4
Those V4's can take quite the beating but if you wanted to 'spruce' it up a little here's what I would do.

New fluids (oil/coolant/brake)
New plugs
Sync throttlebodies/carbs
If the brake lines are the original rubber lines I'd replace them with ss braided lines (rubber lines have a shelf life)
New front pads
Inspect the chain and sprockets (find the service manual for the bike, it should explain how to measure the chain to see if it has stretched out of spec)
Replace the air filter

That should be enough to put a dent in the pocket but get it back to running healthy.
Thanks for the input, I am thinking I could do most of this myself, I have the owners manual to the bike. But I haven't done any reading nor research on the bike. Its just easier for me to get someone knowledgeable about the bike to preform the work.

I am going to do some researching about " Sync throttle bodies / carbs " because I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Registered Member

DIMford has disabled reputation

A lot of that stuff is easy and if you learn to do it on your own you can save mad cash. i.e. fluids, brake pads, and clean an lube your chain. The air filter should be easy but I can't say for sure since I own a 2007 VFR.

I recommend going by www.vfrdiscussion.com and downloading the maintenance manual for your bike. It has step by step instructions and give you a better idea about what you can do yourself.

By the way, welcome to the VFR family.