Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

I have yet another issue with my bike!??!?!?!!?!?!?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:03 PM
hatrs make me famous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: I have yet another issue with my bike!??!?!?!!?!?!?

if you're running pod filters, you're gonna have more issues as the weather changes, mainly with it running richer the hotter/ more humid it is outside.

I've owned a few oil cooled gsxr's with pods. Every one of them would run rougher when it was real hot, that's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately. If you're not comfortable playing with your carbs a bit as the weather changes, I suggest you put an airbox back on it, and have it jetted to suit. That's just the voice of experience. You can find a good middle ground setup with pods, but it's gonna take some experimentation to get it there. If you're paying someone to do it, it can get pricey quick. I have pods on my bike too, and I have to constantly play with the mixture screws depending on the weather. Mine are just ALOT easier to get to than they are on a GSXR.

That being said, if it has a dynojet jet kit in it... tuning issues are that much worse. I've never been a fan of dynojet jet kits, but factorypro doesn't make the assortment of kits that dynojet does, so alot of times it's pretty much all you can get. Alot of dynojet kits want you to drill the air bleed hole in the slide, which from my experience, makes tuning more of a pain. I usually don't drill them, and if they have been previously drilled, you can epoxy the hole shut and re-drill to stock specs. Running pods moves ALOT more air than an airbox, and you generally have to go WAY up on the main jets, and sometimes up on the pilots, along with mixture screw adjustments. Running a stage 3 (which is what you have, or should have if you are running pods, there's no such thing as a stage 2 for an oil cooled gsxr, stage 1 is for an airbox, stage 3 is for pods, there is no middle ground) makes the carbs MUCH more picky to tuning.

I have to wonder if someone hand-jetted the carbs? If you can talk to the mechanic that cleaned your carbs, ask him if it had adjustable needles. Most street bikes don't have adjustables from the factory, and if it has adjustables in it, that's a good sign it actually has a "proper" jet kit in it. When you buy a jet kit, that's what you're actually paying for, is the needles (and the r&d that's gone into them), jets alone are about 5 bucks for a pack of 4.

Also, have you ridden/parked it in the rain and/or washed the bike? Pod filters tend to hold water, which gets sucked in when the bike is running, and water is heavier than gas, and it tends to sit in the bottom of float bowls. Obviously water doesn't burn, so when it starts to suck the water out of the bowls, it'll run horrible. You can actually check for water in the bowls pretty easily. On the bottom of each carb is a drain screw. If you catch the fuel out of the drain (turn the gas off first) when you crack the drain screws open, into a CLEAN pan of some kind, water will look like "bubbles" in the gas, as water and gas won't mix.

my educated guess is that it's running a lil too rich, and the hot ass weather we are having is making it run richer (warm air is less dense than cool air, meaning less oxygen to burn, making it richer, since a carb can't "adjust" like FI can) and it's loading up the plugs. It probably ran fine after the shop b/c it got new plugs put in, but after riding it, it started loading them up, and you're back to square one. You didn't pay the shop to tune the carbs, just to clean/rebuild them, so I'd imagine that the jets that are in the bike now are the same, or same size anyway, as they were when you brought it in. If it was rich when you took it in, it's still rich now. If you can, pull the plugs, or at least one (the outside plugs are easy to get to on an old gixxer) and see if they are black and sooty. That'd be a dead giveaway right there.

*edit- i'd also check the coils to see if they are in spec on the pimary and secondary windings. A weak ignition can cuase a plug to load up too, ESPECIALLY if it's jetted on the rich side. I wouldn't worry about the CDI box too much, generally speaking, they either work, or they don't. (with very rare exceptions, of course)

Last edited by skr00zloose; 08-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered member

Ginger_Ninja has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
If its a STG2 Dynojet kit then you should be golden. I agree you should check the float bowls, if they're not shiny clean go kick some mechanic ass.

Have you checked to be sure you're still getting spark when it's warm. The ignition module can get pretty warm when it's running. If it's worn that could also be the issue.
honestly man I couldnt tell you what jet kit it is to be exact I bought the bike like it is. I was told nothing was wrong with it blah blah blah and some more bullshit. I have not checked the spark on it after it warms up but I will make that I project to do this weekend
Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
if you're running pod filters, you're gonna have more issues as the weather changes, mainly with it running richer the hotter/ more humid it is outside.

I've owned a few oil cooled gsxr's with pods. Every one of them would run rougher when it was real hot, that's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately. If you're not comfortable playing with your carbs a bit as the weather changes, I suggest you put an airbox back on it, and have it jetted to suit. That's just the voice of experience. You can find a good middle ground setup with pods, but it's gonna take some experimentation to get it there. If you're paying someone to do it, it can get pricey quick. I have pods on my bike too, and I have to constantly play with the mixture screws depending on the weather. Mine are just ALOT easier to get to than they are on a GSXR.

That being said, if it has a dynojet jet kit in it... tuning issues are that much worse. I've never been a fan of dynojet jet kits, but factorypro doesn't make the assortment of kits that dynojet does, so alot of times it's pretty much all you can get. Alot of dynojet kits want you to drill the air bleed hole in the slide, which from my experience, makes tuning more of a pain. I usually don't drill them, and if they have been previously drilled, you can epoxy the hole shut and re-drill to stock specs. Running pods moves ALOT more air than an airbox, and you generally have to go WAY up on the main jets, and sometimes up on the pilots, along with mixture screw adjustments. Running a stage 3 (which is what you have, or should have if you are running pods, there's no such thing as a stage 2 for an oil cooled gsxr, stage 1 is for an airbox, stage 3 is for pods, there is no middle ground) makes the carbs MUCH more picky to tuning.

I have to wonder if someone hand-jetted the carbs? If you can talk to the mechanic that cleaned your carbs, ask him if it had adjustable needles. Most street bikes don't have adjustables from the factory, and if it has adjustables in it, that's a good sign it actually has a "proper" jet kit in it. When you buy a jet kit, that's what you're actually paying for, is the needles (and the r&d that's gone into them), jets alone are about 5 bucks for a pack of 4.

Also, have you ridden/parked it in the rain and/or washed the bike? Pod filters tend to hold water, which gets sucked in when the bike is running, and water is heavier than gas, and it tends to sit in the bottom of float bowls. Obviously water doesn't burn, so when it starts to suck the water out of the bowls, it'll run horrible. You can actually check for water in the bowls pretty easily. On the bottom of each carb is a drain screw. If you catch the fuel out of the drain (turn the gas off first) when you crack the drain screws open, into a CLEAN pan of some kind, water will look like "bubbles" in the gas, as water and gas won't mix.

my educated guess is that it's running a lil too rich, and the hot ass weather we are having is making it run richer (warm air is less dense than cool air, meaning less oxygen to burn, making it richer, since a carb can't "adjust" like FI can) and it's loading up the plugs. It probably ran fine after the shop b/c it got new plugs put in, but after riding it, it started loading them up, and you're back to square one. You didn't pay the shop to tune the carbs, just to clean/rebuild them, so I'd imagine that the jets that are in the bike now are the same, or same size anyway, as they were when you brought it in. If it was rich when you took it in, it's still rich now. If you can, pull the plugs, or at least one (the outside plugs are easy to get to on an old gixxer) and see if they are black and sooty. That'd be a dead giveaway right there.

*edit- i'd also check the coils to see if they are in spec on the pimary and secondary windings. A weak ignition can cuase a plug to load up too, ESPECIALLY if it's jetted on the rich side. I wouldn't worry about the CDI box too much, generally speaking, they either work, or they don't. (with very rare exceptions, of course)
can I just bring the bike to you man? lol you seem to know what the hell you are talking about and I am left scratching my head saying WTF
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

That'd be a great idea. I can vouche for his smarts. Its not very often I have a question he doesn't give me a detailed answer on.

Good luck on fixing it. Carbs are a pain in the ass.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by j4k3
Carbs are a pain in the ass.
I agree with you 100% I am at the point where I am ready to get rid of the bike but aint no one gonna want it they way its running now
Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by Myvtec98
can I just bring the bike to you man? lol you seem to know what the hell you are talking about and I am left scratching my head saying WTF
by all means, but it'd have to be at the shop, not my house. I don't do side work when I'm working at a shop, it's a conflict of interest (and I don't have a garage any more anyway). All I ask is that if you are going to bring it to me, LEAVE IT ALONE. I say that because it's ALOT easier for me to diagnose a problem when the bike is in the same state it was in when the problem came up. Making things easier on me means less time diagnosing, which means less money out of your wallet.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
by all means, but it'd have to be at the shop, not my house. I don't do side work when I'm working at a shop, it's a conflict of interest (and I don't have a garage any more anyway). All I ask is that if you are going to bring it to me, LEAVE IT ALONE. I say that because it's ALOT easier for me to diagnose a problem when the bike is in the same state it was in when the problem came up. Making things easier on me means less time diagnosing, which means less money out of your wallet.
I have not touched the bike at all except for when I took the tank off to have it cleaned a couple weeks back. what shop do you work at so I know where to bring it to?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM
hatrs make me famous

Precision Motorcycle, on Southgate ave in VB. It's off witchduck RD, between the 264 and VB Blvd.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

is this right beside sage autos shop??

like right in front of their back gate??

if so i was there thursday when you guys were outside with 5-6 bikes...would have came and said hi if i knew it was you
Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Yea its right by sage.

Quick Reply: I have yet another issue with my bike!??!?!?!!?!?!?